Regiment w/o AW

• 3 Replies
Regiment w/o AW
« on: October 31, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »
So, I was fortunate enough to play in John Harper's 'Bandit Razor' scenario this past weekend, and had a great time.  I'm warming up to running it for my Toronto posse.

1. Is it remotely doable without owning Apocalypse World?  (I have just bought AW PDF, but it has not yet arrived.)  My sense is that TR has drifted a long way from AW, but I'll probably be caught out by a number of conventions.  Ignore any questions below that annoy you for this reason.

2. Is there any kind of limitation on the use of Liberty moves?  Seems you could just pile them on, and some have no downside.  (Or does, say, Blow Off Steam use up your whole downtime?)

3. Is there any kind of roll-up of the rules that are sprinkled around the net?  A forum thread here mentions how to work out OP, and Paul's Market Garden AP thread mentions that it's cool to have multiple characters.  (My guess is no, wait for the game!)

4. What do you do if the players come up with a really crap (or awesome) plan?  For example, the Battle Plans section offers a neat template for the sorts of things the players should consider for various objectives, giving even novice GMs a sense of whether a plan is comprehensive (if not actually good) or myopic.  Does the GM hold this in the narrative cloud in his/her mind (which I suspect)? Do you ever tweak OP for the Engagement roll? Generally not an issue?

5. How do I throw money at you? :-)

6. NPC action vs. Unit Maneuvers - the choice between these is the number of NPCs, I take it?

7. The 'Setup' and 'Loud' weapon tags aren't explained, but the narrative is obvious.

8. Any special way of handling parachuting in?  I suppose it could be a wide variety of things, like the Engagement roll, Maneuver, Are You Crazy, depending on the narrative.

Re: Regiment w/o AW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 03:56:37 PM »
9. Hard moves - I don't get the sense that The Regiment's MC moves are divided into soft and hard moves the way AW is, is it?  Or is 'taking fire as established' an exception to this process?

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »
Hi Michael! Thanks for playing. That was a fun session.

1. It is possible, I think, now that you've played it, but I don't think anyone has done that yet. So... good luck! :)

2. You can't pile them on, no. You blow off some steam, you roll, and you're done. You can't make the move again until you blow off some steam again... presumably after you accumulate some steam. In the AW text, this idea is called "to do it, do it," which you'll see in the PDF. It just means, "to roll a move, you have to satisfy the fictional trigger."

3. No. :)

4. I haven't tweaked the OP based on their plan, but that's an interesting idea. I could see giving a +/-1 there, maybe, depending on the situation.

5. You'll have to wait for the Kickstarter.

6. Yep.

7. Yeah. I ran out of room and cut the obvious ones.

8. That's right.

9. The Regiment and AW work the same way when it comes to GM moves, but I find that there are pernicious myths about how GM moves work in AW, so it's hard to know how to answer.

In both games, the GM can 'inflict harm as established' as a move, and you don't have to wait for a miss to make a move. It's a bit less fraught in TR, since harm is randomized.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 09:31:17 AM »
John, thanks very much for the replies.

I haven't really waded into the AW myths conversations online, so any pernicious misunderstandings will have to emerge from my own biases. :-)