So how do you get someone to sleep with you?

• 12 Replies
So how do you get someone to sleep with you?
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:06:51 PM »
In the game, I mean.

The book describes that when you seduce someone, you're specifically using the promise of sex in order to get something ELSE that you want. It's not just trying to get them to fuck you.

But what if you do want someone just to fuck you, whether just because or so that you can use your sex move?

I mean, if the NPC or PC is already so inclined, then you can just ask and they;'ll do it with no need to roll, right? But what if they're not (or not yet, or not right now) so inclined?

Should you use another move to get them to do what you want? i.e. either manipulate using some other leverage or (eww) by going aggro? (please don't suggest seizing by force).

Or is there some way to roll "to seduce" just to get someone to sleep with you?

While I'm on the topic, is it possible to seduce someone into doing something if they don't wanna have sex with you? Like, the promise you;re making is sexual, but what if the NPC doesn't want your sexy times? Do you roll anyway? How about for brainers, what with the unnatural lust transfixion and all?

lumpley

Re: So how do you get someone to sleep with you?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:15:17 PM »
You can seduce someone into having sex with you, sure.

Seducing means that you're offering sex in return for something from them; what you want from them may or may not be sex too.

Whether you can seduce someone who isn't into you, is up to them. As MC, my personal guidelines are (a) everybody likes sex, and (b) my job isn't to preserve my NPCs' dignity.

Unnatural lust transfixion pretty much cuts across anybody's dignity at all, leaving them, y'know, unnaturally transfixed with lust. PCs are protected from it by the details of the move, but NPCs? Befucked.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 12:17:04 PM »
OK, so, you want to have sex with Tum Tum.

If she wants to have sex with you: no roll, you're golden.
If she doesn't, you need to make a move to convince her. So yeah, go aggro, seize by force, or manipulate seem like the most likely candidates. For manipulate, you will need some other leverage, something they want: that medicine for her sister, protection, shelter, hell maybe even "comfort".

If you are trying to seduce someone to do something else (manipulate using sex as leverage) and they don't want your sweet sweet lovin'…then you don't have much leverage, do ya?

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 12:26:24 PM »
I just want to say, like seriously, that the game does offer you a way to mechanically pursue sex with someone that doesn't make you a bad human being. It's to read a person and ask the obvious question. Sometimes then you'll get to have sex with them, sometimes you won't, but your conscience gets to stay intact.

It's also crucial that the sex moves say "when you and another character have sex," implying mutual co-action, not "when you have sex with another character," implying unilateral action. Seize by force? Go aggro? Ugly applications of manipulation? When I'm your MC, those rule out your sex move.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »
I knew I was leaving something out.  Clearly the apocalypse turns me into a bad, bad person.

Is this like the most asked Apocalypse World question or what?

Vx: just curious, do you have the Operator's sex move trigger if they've got a fucking gig?  Or is that "just a gig, no strings attached"?

lumpley

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »
I'd ask the operator, client by client, occasion by occasion.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »
It's also crucial that the sex moves say "when you and another character have sex," implying mutual co-action, not "when you have sex with another character," implying unilateral action. Seize by force? Go aggro? Ugly applications of manipulation? When I'm your MC, those rule out your sex move.

In this case, then, "sex" in Apocalypse World means "consensual sex with the implicit connection attained therein (or not with certain character types)"?

That's a good thing to know.

Judd

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 05:04:51 PM »
In this case, then, "sex" in Apocalypse World means "consensual sex with the implicit connection attained therein (or not with certain character types)"?

In Apocalypse World and in our world (not the character types bit but the consensual bit).

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 11:58:35 PM »
OK so wait...V, in my Gamestorm game with you my Brainer Cybelle seduced the (NPC) Hardholder Esco with Unnatural Lust Transfixion, in order to secure her friends' release. You made it pretty clear that Cybelle overrode Esco's will to the point that he was turning his back on his true love and wrecking his life--heartbroken though fucking Cybelle "willingly."

This TOTALLY triggered Cybelle's sex move (and showed her, to her horror, just how badly she'd broken Esco. Is that somehow different from forcing a character through Aggro or Seize? To me it looks like just as much a violation.

Peace,
-Joel

lumpley

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:51:46 AM »
Yes, different. Cybelle forced Esco to want her. That may be a terrible violation, sure, but the sex came after - Cybelle didn't force sex on him at all. By the time it was sex, he was a willing and enthusiastic co-actor.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 10:49:46 AM »
Hmm, gotcha. Gives me a little shudder, but gotcha.

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 04:15:30 AM »

In Apocalypse World and in our world (not the character types bit but the consensual bit).

I don't think that's necessarily true.  It's still sex in the sense that it's physical intercourse (or similar activities) - forced or otherwise, in the "Real World" it qualifies.  In AW there needs to be some connection inherent (or not as the case may be).

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 08:45:24 PM »

I don't think that's necessarily true. 

Damn well should be, though, and worth striving for.