NEW PLAYERS: I wrote a Beginner's Guide to Dungeon World

• 94 Replies

Scrape

Re: NEW PLAYERS: I wrote a Beginner's Guide to Dungeon World
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 11:55:16 AM »
You only have a limited time to edit your posts here. I thought it was originally less than an hour, but I think it's set to about a day or something, now. After that, only mods can edit posts.

But either I didn't make it clear or the topic is just too loaded.

It's not you. I know exactly what you mean. It's just too loaded. The new version is excellent, though.

Thanks! For the new version feedback and explaining the editing thing. That's kinda annoying. I can't report my own post so it'd be nice if a mod could edit the original links out for me. Would someone mind reporting it or whatever? I'm apparently clueless, teehee.

I'm happy with the new edit and I think it'll avoid any issues once it's hosted on the main page. I don't want no trouble, I should've known better!

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
Scrape - PM me with the changes you need to make and I'll take care of 'em.

We're also going to be hosting this on the DW site, too, so you'll be able to link from there.

Scrape

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »
Scrape - PM me with the changes you need to make and I'll take care of 'em.

We're also going to be hosting this on the DW site, too, so you'll be able to link from there.

Will do! Thanks!

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »
For what it's worth, Scrape, I've played (and loved) DnD since the early days of 1977 and I thought your little passage of "what I wanted DnD to be" was spot on and not at all derogatory to the source material. Thanks again for the great guide, it's helping me get my head around some of DW's awesome concepts :)

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »
I thought your little passage of "what I wanted DnD to be" was spot on and not at all derogatory to the source material.

Yeah, I need to work on being articulate on the internet, because I didn't exactly mean it was "derogatory".

I just meant it added nothing to a helpful/useful/great product.

It could have been any game. Your choice. Monopoly, RIFTS, Fiasco. Doesn't matter. I just felt it detracted from the product itself.

In the same way that talking about sandwiches or LOLcats would have. It was an unnecessary distraction.

Scrape

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
For what it's worth, Scrape, I've played (and loved) DnD since the early days of 1977 and I thought your little passage of "what I wanted DnD to be" was spot on and not at all derogatory to the source material. Thanks again for the great guide, it's helping me get my head around some of DW's awesome concepts :)

Thanks, I appreciate it! I'm glad you got what I was saying. But I think Irminsul and Wombat are right; as long as there's any room for misinterpretation then it's not worth alienating someone just to share the anecdote.

The response has been massive (about 600 downloads over 4 days) and overwhelmingly positive, so I'm real happy, no worries!

Edit: skinnyghost, did you get my pm?

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »
I should probably weigh in here too, huh?

Hey folks; Evil Mastermind here, a.k.a. The Other Guy What Wrote The Guide.

I'm glad people liked my worldbuilding stuff and sample campaign.

Scrape

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »
Seeing you outside of SA is like when you were a kid and you saw your teacher at the grocery store. You're like "WOAH WHAT THE--"

Scrape

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »
Our guide is now available from the official site. I'm pretty stoked about this!

http://www.dungeon-world.com/dungeon-world-guide/

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »
Hello! I'm the guy who wrote the compendium classes. So if you have any issues with those, yell at me.

noclue

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2012, 09:03:38 PM »
Our guide is now available from the official site. I'm pretty stoked about this!

http://www.dungeon-world.com/dungeon-world-guide/

Why do all the links show a circle with a chain when I mouse over the images?
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

Scrape

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »
Why do all the links show a circle with a chain when I mouse over the images?

In the pdf? They should be working hyperlinks... I think that's just how they display in Acrobat? Click one and it should bring you to the corresponding forums. If they don't, then it's because I messed them up probably! :)

noclue

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2012, 10:22:39 PM »
No, the website. All the adventures, the guide, all of them.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

Scrape

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 12:58:20 AM »
Oh, I dunno about that but I tested the link and they're just normal downloads, they link to the dungeon world dropbox account. Maybe that's it?

noclue

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 03:33:20 AM »
Ah, my Dropbox wasn't open. Maybe that's the thing.
James R.

--HERBERT SPENCER