Cleric healing the whole party between "encounters"

• 7 Replies

Scrape

Cleric healing the whole party between "encounters"
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »
You know that thing that players do, when the Cleric wants to heal the entire party after a fight? Rather than cast the spell on each player, which kinda pulls us out of the story, I made this move:

When you call on your god to heal the entire party while resting, roll +Wis.
On a 10+, your petition is fulfilled.
On a 7-9, choose one:
...it exhausts you. Take -1ongoing until your next rest.
...your god demands something in exchange, a favor or tribute. The GM will tell you what.
On a Miss, your constant need has angered your diety in some way.

What do you think? It was pretty fun when we used it.

Re: Cleric healing the whole party between "encounters"
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:19:49 PM »
Well, I'd nix the "On a miss" text, and probably add a third option to the choice list. Something like, "Something nasty stumbles across you as you dally. Zany hijinks ensue."

Scrape

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »
Yeah, maybe the Miss is best left to the GM.

I've been wracking my brain for a good third option. I kinda thought a monster would be a little harsh, not to mention defeat the purpose of healing everyone because the Cleric will just use the move all over again, afterwards.

...the best you can do is 1d8 hp for each of them

...?

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »
Perhaps something like:
You heal your party, but your God exacts some cost from each of them.
Something like each of them getting -1 ongoing, bans on certain actions (lest the healing be undone), or something like that?

Scrape

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:35:34 AM »
I like putting the cost on the Cleric, personally. I think it leads to more intra-party drama that way, and more of a deliberation on the player's part.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:36:59 PM »
You know, I think if you take away the rolling bit and just leave the  "when you" and "choose one" parts, you might be in better territory.

"When you call on your God to heal your party, choose one:
  • You are only able to heal 1d6
  • Channelling the power exhausts you, take -1 ongoing until you make camp or rest
  • Your god demand something in exchange, tribute or a favour. The GM will tell you what
You may not choose the same option twice in a row."

That last bit may be unnecessary, but otherwise I think taking the roll out of it removes further likelihood that the Cleric will just do it more than once at a time.

noofy

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 12:57:27 AM »
I Like it!

I personally like there to be a little choice on a strong hit too... So I turned your move back on you (just following my principles and all).

When you call on your god to heal the entire party while resting, roll +Wis. On a hit, your petition is fulfilled. 10+ Choose 2, 7-9 Choose 1:

* You don't develop a disability from the exertion (tag)
* Your god does not demand something in exchange: a favour,  converts or tribute.
* Your healing is strong, you may forgo the HP die roll and heal each Party member 5hp.

Scrape

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 01:40:32 AM »
BOOM. Noofy, I love this version. It was intended to heal the entire part to full,Naomi I may sub that for the third choice. But that's a much better layout. Love it.