Tools for playbooks.

• 6 Replies
Tools for playbooks.
« on: September 17, 2010, 07:50:57 AM »
I dont know if it has been asked already - but what tools/fonts/etc were used in the creation of the playbooks.

I LOVE the trifold format, and want to try making my own :)

K

Re: Tools for playbooks.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:02:32 AM »
Johnstone touched on it in his thread about his actual book of new playbooks. Here's a summary:

Distressed fonts:
VTKS Good for You
Crust Clean (no punctuation, use Dirty Ego for that)

Minibooks' body text:
Consolas

R-Rating, Footers, and Numbering:
Verdana Bold

Rulebook's body text:
Chaparral Pro, an Adobe font

Here's a trick. When you have a PDF document open. Right-click and select "Document Properties" and you get a list of all the fonts used.

I would love official trifold templates to be distributed, but doubt that will happen, so I created my own A4-sized version for my own playbook creations.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:03:20 AM »

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »
cheers :)

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 06:24:35 AM »
Okiedokie.. awesome start now.

Next questions. I remember reading a post by lumpley on how he made the black&white images for the playbooks etc. I though I had bookmarked it, but apparently hadn't.

Anyone got a link?

Also - assuming use of using adobe acrobat? or Adobe InDesign?

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »
Aha!
i found the page I remembered.
about half way down

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 05:01:34 AM »
Hey all,
I have the tools to get pretty darned close on a playbook layout. (Illustrator, Acrobat, etc.) so if any of the original authors of a new playbook would like me to make one up I'll be happy to, time allowing. 

I can't promise 100% exactly like the canon ones but I'll get close as I can.

Again, please be the original poster of the playbook to a thread and reply here to ask. If you have a piece of art in mind send a link to the file or I might just make something or leave it black. I think I can do the trifold or the several-page style. The latter is likely easier.

No guarantee of turnaround time but this stuff is FUN so hopefully won't take me too long to get to it.