Different (Better?) Method of Dealing with Marked Stats

• 3 Replies
Different (Better?) Method of Dealing with Marked Stats
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
I had this revelation a few days ago, while playing.

There repeatedly seem to be questions surrounding what to do about stats that characters are less likely to use, due to purchased special moves.  In my mind, resolving this at the social level ("hey dude, can you mark a different stat?") is fine but prone to edge cases, especially in instances where you partially substitute stats (like how Charismatic allows a Hocus to manipulate with Weird but still have to use Hot for seduction; or instances where you normally don't use a stat at all, but then get a new move that calls for that stat specifically).

Here's a new suggestion for how to handle this:

<b>Fuck what stat you're actually rolling, as far as determining if you mark XP; mark XP based on the stat you were originally supposed to roll.</b>

This has a number of advantages:

1. players and the MC can mark whatever stat they like, without worrying about whether you ever roll that stat

2. when marking others stats, you actually can think about "I wanna see you be Hot this session," without having to know which stat the other character uses to do Hot things

Re: Different (Better?) Method of Dealing with Marked Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:45:05 AM »
I agree with your #1 but disagree with your #2.

I disagree for this reason:
If you have a move that, for example, substitutes Cool for Hot when seducing or manipulating (I don't actually recall if there's a move that does precisely this), you're no longer actually BEING HOT when you do those things.  You've learned to seduce and manipulate through COOLNESS.  So if I'm marking your stats and I think, "Man, I'd love to see you be hot for awhile," then I still need to mark hot, regardless of what stat you use to seduce and manipulate.  Because, at least in my mind, "being hot" =/= "seducing and manipulating," or at least not necessarily.

Chris

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
I agree with your #1 but disagree with your #2.

I disagree for this reason:
If you have a move that, for example, substitutes Cool for Hot when seducing or manipulating (I don't actually recall if there's a move that does precisely this), you're no longer actually BEING HOT when you do those things.  You've learned to seduce and manipulate through COOLNESS.  So if I'm marking your stats and I think, "Man, I'd love to see you be hot for awhile," then I still need to mark hot, regardless of what stat you use to seduce and manipulate.  Because, at least in my mind, "being hot" =/= "seducing and manipulating," or at least not necessarily.

Yeah, Unnatural Lust Transfixtion is being Weird. Sure, you're Seducing, but you're in no way Hot. You're still a weirdo, freakshow.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:14:34 AM »
Yeah, Unnatural Lust Transfixtion is being Weird. Sure, you're Seducing, but you're in no way Hot. You're still a weirdo, freakshow.
Yeah, that's probably the best example of what I was trying to say from the moves in the book.