Supers - some basic rules including powers

• 19 Replies
Re: Supers - some basic rules including powers
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
I'm still working on the stats.  One of the "basic" stats was going to be profession, but I want it to reflect more than just the thing you do for a living.  So, it's secret identity... but what if you have a public identity?  So, what's the generic term?  Civilian identity?  Background?  Personal life?  It would reflect your skill in your profession, but also your standing there, your family relationships, your resources in either of those, etc. 

This could also be two stats. 

N.B. I'm having an easier time coming up with potential moves for personal life than for professional.

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
Keeping an eye on your work. I have an interest in making a Godlike AW hack as I love the Godlike worldscape. On first glance I like where you are going with the powers and stunts.

Adapting superpowers into AW is an interesting exercise as AW is set up to be fairly flat power levels. Moves in AW definitely get weird and players are definitely more kick-ass than NPCs but for the most part everyone is about human-level — it's more Batman than the Hulk level powers. The only tiered system in place is with only "gang size" as a measure of one side being outclassed.

I like the StrangeFate system of power tiers. It's an interesting hack for Fate which is also a mechanic at it's base that isn't geared for powers where one super can truly outclass another. Switching from 2d6 to 4DF for rolls could make it easy to strap on StrangeFate power tiers.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 06:22:56 PM »
Adapting superpowers into AW is an interesting exercise as AW is set up to be fairly flat power levels. Moves in AW definitely get weird and players are definitely more kick-ass than NPCs but for the most part everyone is about human-level — it's more Batman than the Hulk level powers. The only tiered system in place is with only "gang size" as a measure of one side being outclassed.

You're correct about this, and I'm not 100% sure yet how to handle it.  I'm thinking of some kind of scaling mechanism, where super attacks against "normals" automatically do +1 harm, and normal attacks against supers automatically do -1.  And something like stat+3 for a normal is +0 for a super.  (Edit:  Which seems to be at least somewhat vaguely like the way StrangeFate does things, now that I look at that link.) 

I'm trying to force myself to not do any more design work until I've gotten dice on a table with it.  

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »
I'm thinking of some kind of scaling mechanism, where super attacks against "normals" automatically do +1 harm, and normal attacks against supers automatically do -1.  And something like stat+3 for a normal is +0 for a super.

My hack's working like this: PCs start with a 10-harm box meter that gets filled as they take harm and you can get more boxes from powers and moves, but NPCs get a meter that's anywhere from 1 box long (for a bunny or bystander) to [number of PCs] x20 for giant robots, world conquering villains, and kaiju.

That was just easier than trying to fit both the Hulk and Batman on the really small clock that AW uses.

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 04:49:41 PM »
When you try to take it roll +armor ... On a 10+ choose 3, on 7-9 choose "you are unmoved" plus 1, on 2-6 choose 1.  

you take no harm, you are unmoved, what's behind you takes no harm

If you don’t choose "take no harm", your armor still protects you from the damage.  

You can have 0 armor and still get lucky!  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:54:23 PM by Chris Goodwin »