So, does Load use Strength or STR?

• 7 Replies
So, does Load use Strength or STR?
« on: August 17, 2012, 06:00:30 AM »
Like, right now? In the current edition of rules?

Because if it's still a mod, like on the pre-release sheets, how are we supposed to gear up Rangers and Thieves? Or carry any (precious, precious) loot out of the dungeons?

And if it's the stat, like one would infer from "The stat's score is unaffected so you don't have to worry about changing your Load when you're Weak", why the sheets still haven't been edited?

I'm basically try to fish out a ruling before a game starts. :D

Re: So, does Load use Strength or STR?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:07:36 PM »
I read that as the +str and not the entire score. I believe when they reference the 3 letter abbreviation it's the ability score mod, while the entire name is the entire score.

Constitution + number for hp = Take the entire constitution score and add it to the base class value to get your hp.

Str + number for load = Take the bonus/penalty for str and add it to the base class value to get your max load.

Fighters start with a higher class load base as they've been trained to carry gear around while a thief with a low str is going to want to stick to lighter weapons. A thief with no bonus would have starting:

rations: 1
armor: 1
3 daggers: 0
rapier: 1

Leaving 2 left over for selecting the adventuring gear or a bow over daggers, etc.

For carrying loot out I'd figure on the players being overburdened a lot of the time but they could drop it pretty quick in a fight. Except where the thief decides to "check on the horses" while the party holds off the attacking goblins. :)

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »
I think the question here is that if a debility like Weak a) gives you a -1 to STR and b) doesn't affect your Load, which of the following is the case:

1. the debilities discussion on pg23 is wrong
2. the character sheets where Load = x+STR are wrong
3. For some reason, a -1 to STR doesn't alter your Load

It's particularly irksome because pg 23 says the fact that your mod is affected, but not your base score, implies your Load isn't affected, which further implies case 2 above.

Good catch, megazver.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 02:17:30 PM »
There's also the possible / probable rule in the full version that you use your Strength score rather than a class-based Load + Str mod, as described here: http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=2799.0 where skinnyghost says "We've definitely discussed this as an option.  I'd say we're 90% likely to implement Strength as base for load" which is  what Megazver is referring to.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 12:03:11 AM »
^ so, in other words, this:

2. the character sheets where Load = x+STR are wrong

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 12:44:03 AM »
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, the Ranger can't carry everything she gets at start, on the other hand dropping your backpack to fight makes a lot of sense. What's pushing me away from the latter position is that the Ranger should be able to march cross country carrying that much without taking a penalty to their Perilous Journey rolls.

My current position is that Load Base + half Strength (round down) is the way to go. This isn't a "get stuff" game at its heart, but player characters and carrying away everything that isn't nailed down has been a tradition since 1974.

Scrape

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 01:07:36 AM »
My group plays with the full score and it feels right to us. Using mod alone seems like an awfully small amount to carry realistically, and as mentioned they need to lug out precious treasure.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »
It's officially the full score. You'll see the change in the next version of the PDF (omg the final version!)