No Duplicates and Switching Playbooks

• 8 Replies
No Duplicates and Switching Playbooks
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »
In Soviet Apocalypse World, question has a you!

When you switch to a new playbook, you keep the old one for reference, but does it become available for another player to use? Character creation rules say no duplicates, but you've switched, right, not added...?

For example, I am playing the Battlebabe, and Andrew is playing the Maestro D'. Last session we both got our fifth advance. If we get our sixth advances next session, and I decide to become a Hocus, say, and he decides to retire his Maestro to safety, can he introduce a new character who is a Battlebabe, since my character is now a Hocus? And if my now-Hocus character gets killed two sessions later, I can introduce a new Maestro D' right?

Or do either of these situations break the no duplicates rule?

Re: No Duplicates and Switching Playbooks
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »
Was the fact that you blocked other Battlebabe PCs from coming into play part of your character's intrinsic self, or just part of their old life?

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:53:27 PM »
And if I decide it's the second? I still keep the playbook.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »
Sure, you keep the playbook, but if you decide it's the second, someone else can play a battlebabe if they just print out another, or even just look at yours for a second to remind themselves what their options are and write it down on a piece of paper, or something.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:34:07 AM »
just print out another

Whoa there now, let's not undermine the fundamental scarcity at the very heart of Apocalypse World -- the scarcity of playbooks is the basis for all my best Fronts.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:45:58 AM »
Now I want to play a game set in the middle of a ruined business district, all broken skyscrapers and rotting public works, with a Grotesque Front called The Paperwork Vortex.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 12:34:04 PM »
The library of congress as a hardhold.  Or even just the central library here in Chicago.  Or a long-term paper storage facility for companies.  Anywhere that words go to die.
My real name is Timo

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:46:16 PM »
… a long-term paper storage facility for companies.  Anywhere that words go to die.

Oh yeah. This. Tunnels and flickering lights and paper demons and the evil secrets they keep.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »
In Soviet apocalypse world, paperwork keep YOU!