Question re: rations

• 5 Replies
Question re: rations
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
Hi,

I was looking through the GitHub text of Dungeon World just to preview the game, and I had a question that didn't appear to have been answered already on these forums: If you attempt to make camp or undertake a perilous journey and you don't have enough rations to pay the cost, what happens?

sage

Re: Question re: rations
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
The wording of Make Camp used to note that you don't heal unless you consume a ration. We need to add that back in.

In general, any time you'd consume a ration but don't have one, you're inviting hard moves from the GM. The Sick condition is a good place to start.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »
I figured that's what the case was; I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks a lot for the swift reply, Sage!  Looking forward to having the hardcover in my hands.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 04:54:29 PM »
The wording of Make Camp used to note that you don't heal unless you consume a ration. We need to add that back in.

I was having the same question last saturday when the group was tracking through the wilderness. What happens, if you don't have rations? Not being able to heal is a good answer.

sage

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »
For Perilous Journey in particular you may just not be able to make the move. If you've got close to enough rations then you can make it, but expect trouble from the GM.

Remember, the GM is there to portray the world realistically. If that means you get Sick(ly) from not eating, that's what happens. By "hard move" I'm really saying that you're asking for trouble, not from a person (the GM), but from the world basically. It's like setting out on a three day hike with only a granola bar. Good luck!

noofy

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 05:36:39 AM »
Or even more immersive, you start out well-prepared for your journey but a couple of ugly choices later you are sick, tired, lost, in a ferocious thunderstorm and you stumble apon a set of crumbling ruins with stairs leading down to the promise of sanctuary and rest....