Druid Spell List

• 14 Replies

stras

Druid Spell List
« on: July 07, 2012, 05:48:52 AM »
Hey guys,

Just something I made for everyone who you know ... likes their druids casty (Hunter's Brother/Stalker's Sister => God Amidst The Wastes).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/898694/Druid%20Spells.pdf

I tried keeping most of the functional bits the same, and added three shakes of flavor, and a pinch of classic terms.

As always let me know what you think and/if/or you have any questions/comments/snide remarks.

Re: Druid Spell List
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:33:23 AM »
I like this a lot. Should be made official ;)

Seriously, if anyone ever plays a druid and takes the appropriate moves, I am going to hand out your spell list to them.

noofy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:04:21 AM »
Perfect Stras! Great resource, thanks for mocking this up, it will be invaluable in play. I agree with MoC, should be on the 2nd sheet for the Druid Playbook (Like the Cleric / Wizard)

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
I love it! There are two first-level spells called Speak with Spirits, I think.

stras

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »
Thanks ZonerZ.  I think that's a copy-paste error that didn't get corrected for whatever reason.  I'll fix it when I get home tonight.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »
Any time. While you're at it, there are two 'Summon Nature's Ally' spells as well, but one's at level 3 and one is at level 9 so I doubt there'd be much confusion there.

stras

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »
Keep em coming amigo! Help is much appreciated :D

stras

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »
Ok! Sheet updated.  Off to run (surprise) Dungeon World for some peeps.  Let me know if you spot anything else!

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 03:35:32 PM »
What are you doing about the other Druid moves? A lot of them are centered on shapeshifting, but if a druid has these spells instead of shapeshifting, are you changing the other moves too?

stras

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
Hey Anti :)

The Druid is one of my favorite classes (probably my favorite class period).

In traditional D&D you can find that they cast spells in addition to shapeshifting, although that changes a bit in certain sources and builds.  One of the awesome things about the druid in DW is that they aren't casters by default, but the designers are sneaky ninjas insofar as they built in the possibility of a build that makes them closer to the D&D vision.  How?

If you take Hunter's Brother or Stalker's Sister - you can gain a Ranger move.  This opens combos to you.  So for example: you can take 'God Amidst the Wastes' which gives you access to the full cleric spell list.  Boom - casty Druid.

However, while the cleric spells are fine, they are not necessarily all classically druid flavored.  If you compare this list to the cleric list you'll see that I translated it spell for spell and mechanic for mechanic.  This isn't a new rule so much as a re-skinning for those Druids that want to play a casting heavy cleric-y type druid.

They keep their shapeshifting and all moves as-is, this is just a flavorful supplement to let those casters have more classically named and themed spells in their list.

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »
Ah, ok. I was thinking of spellcasty druids in place of shapeshifty druids. I'll work on a either / or druid myself I think for my upcoming PBP campaign on rpg.net, since spells and shifting seems a bit too powerful to me. I think I'll offer a lvl 6-10 Move that gives you the other option as well though. I'll have to come up with a few non-shifty Moves as well to add, I think, but I'm definitely using these spells, since you did an awesome job there.

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
spells and shifting seems a bit too powerful to me.
Trust me when I say I don't want to be polemic in this post. But, is this consideration based on actual play? Because I never had problems with second level spellcasting multiclass options (for the bard, the fighter, the paladin, the ranger and then the druid).
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »
As a second level ability, fair enough. Straight out of the gate at 1st level seems a little too powerful to me though. If it works for you, and others, then great, I have no problem with that.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »
Anti, it's not "out of the gate"! It requires the expenditure of an advancement, as Stras noted. That means a minimum of level 2. :)

- Alex

stras

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »
Moreover without the move boosts that make those spells more powerful the druid may have the versatility of the spell list but the cleric is definitely the cleric-spell powerhouse.

From actual play, I can vouch it doesn't seem to drown out one or the other.