Confused by "Devious" tag

• 3 Replies
Confused by "Devious" tag
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:42:39 AM »
I am confused by the monster tag "devious". In the notes for the 2.2 Beta release it says that devious doesn't reduce the die size anymore, but instead you roll twice and keep the worst result. That is reflected in the 2.3 Beta write-up for the Derro and Satyr, for example. But in 2.3 Beta, the devious move reduces the damage dice size.

So, is that just too devious for me?

noofy

Re: Confused by "Devious" tag
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:23:11 AM »
Hmmm. I may be a little shaky on iterations (there has been a few!) but doesn't this tag reflect the fact that monsters are more than a damage die?

Devious: Its main danger lies beyond the simple clash of battle.
It isn't dangerous because of the wounds it inflicts, but for other reasons: Devious, -damage dice size, write a move about why it's dangerous...

So yeah, you could reflect this in its reduction of a PC's damage dealing potential. But the more important fictional element to this tag is why? Detail that (or get your players to spout lore about it) and your devious little munchkin will be a rather memorable little fellow in your burgeoning story.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
That's not my issue. I didn't not open the topic because I am confused by the fiction. I opened the topic, because the rules seem to contradict.

It says, they reduce damage dice, but some of the devious monsters instead have a roll twice, take worse result. An effect that is not supported by the rules as written.

Conversely, I can't find any monster effect that gives a roll twice, take worse result.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »
I looked at all the Devious monsters and some do have the *w notation and some don't. So it looks like a change in design that hasn't been fully implemented across the board. I couldn't find any other elements that may have explained the difference.