More quotes?

• 7 Replies
More quotes?
« on: May 29, 2012, 03:13:59 AM »
Loving the quotes in Beta 2. I pulled together some similar staff for a 3:16 hack that never went anywhere recently and it took a while. So I wondered if the ones I found (below) might be useful for Sage and Adam, and whether others had favourite quotes they wanted to suggest.

WEAPONS

It’s a trick. Get an Axe.
- Army of Darkness

I want a big-ass sword.
- Knights of the Dinner Table

I waste them with my crossbow.

MOTIATION

It's not about the money with you and me is it, Gal? It's the charge, it's the bolt, it's the buzz, it's the sheer f___ off-ness of it all. Am I right?
- Sexy Beast

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.
- Conan the Barbarian

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
- Conan the Barbarian

THIEVES

We're thieves! ... Come to climb the tower.
- Conan the Barbarian

We three kings be stealin' the gold...
- Three Kings

HIRELINGS

Regard your soldiers as... your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
- Sun Tzu

The dead can’t collect back pay - - if you catch my drift.

OTHER

Hello, I am a dwarf by the name of... Zippity Do.
- Community

Then I was slain by an elf.
- The Simpsons

Klaatu Barada N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an ‘N’ word, it's definitely an ‘N’ word! Klaatu... Barada... N... [coughs] [pause] Okay... that's it!
- Army of Darkness

noofy

Re: More quotes?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 03:36:58 AM »
Great  Idea!
There is a price, Barbarian.... The witch, Conan the Barbarian.

A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.... Tyrion, A Game of Thrones

The Lords of Chaos are the enemies of Logic, the jugglers of Truth, the molders of Beauty...  Michael Moorcock, The Knight of the Swords

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die....  - H.P. Lovecraft

Without change something sleeps inside us and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken... -  Duke Lito Artreides, Dune

And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the world. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. - Robert Jordan, The Eye of The World

Rincewind had been generally reckoned by his tutors to be a natural wizard in the same way that fish are natural mountaineers.... - Terry Pratchett,  The Light Fantastic

Do you want the world to be fair? Then just imagine a world with no kings, no queens, no lords, no passion and no magic. You would want to live in such a dull world? Bernard Cornwell – Enemy Of God

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 04:21:02 AM »
Nice ones!

Made me think of my favourite (but too long) Pratchett bit from Pyramids:

A couple of long-bladed throwing tlingo's were slipped into their sheaths inside his boots. A thin silk line and folding grapnel were wound around his waist, over the chain-mail shirt. A blowpipe was attached to its leather thong and dropped down his back under his cloak; Teppic pocketed a slim tin container with an assortment of darts, their tips corked and their stems braille-coded for ease of selection in the dark. He winced, checked the blade of his rapier and slung the baldric over his right shoulder, to balance the bag of lead slingshot ammunition. As an afterthought he opened his sock drawer and took a pistol crossbow, a flask of oil, a roll of lockpicks and, after some consideration, a punch dagger, a bag of assorted caltraps and a set of brass knuckles.

Teppic picked up his hat and checked its lining for the coil of cheesewire. He placed it on his head at a jaunty angle, took a last satisfied look at himself in the mirror, turned on his heel and, very slowly, fell over.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »
“I also felt guilty about the three pens I’d stolen. And since there was no convenient way to give them back, I stole a bottle of ink before I left.”
Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fear

"When the dead do walk seek water's run,
for this the Dead will always shun.
Swift river's best or broadest lake
to ward the dead and have and make.
If water fails thee, fire's thy friend,
if neither guards it will be thy end.”
? Garth Nix, Lirael

“..The argument he was conducting with his neighbor as to whether the English magician had gone mad because he was a magician, or because he was English.”
? Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

“And all the nursemaids and kitchen maids I ever knew when I was a child, always had a aunt, who knew a woman, whose first cousin's boy had been put into just such a box, and had never been seen again.”
? Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:34:23 AM »
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." Vlad Taltos, Jhereg, by Steven Brust
-Jeremiah

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:20:19 AM »
You people are making our lives so much more difficult.  We have a google document open with SO MANY GOD DAMN QUOTES right now and picking and choosing them is so very hard.  So, thanks for making it worse.

Actually, this is really cool.  Thanks!

noofy

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »
If you want to be a new man you have to stay in new places, and do new things, with people who never knew you before. If you go back to the same old ways, what else can you be but the same old person?? Joe Abercrombie, Last Argument of Kings

You were a hero round these parts. That's what they call you when you kill so many people the word murderer falls short.
? Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 04:54:13 PM »
"Asking questions always relaxes me. In fact, I sometimes think that my secret profession is that I'm a private investigator, a detective. I always enjoy finding out about people. Even if they are in absolute agony, I always find it very interesting."

- Wally, My Dinner with Andre (1981)