Gasp Actual Play Report

• 8 Replies

stras

Gasp Actual Play Report
« on: May 19, 2012, 08:30:10 PM »
Preamble

Once a month there's a local gather of gamers in the area called GASP (Gaming Association of South Western Pennsylvania).  Fifty to a hundred gamers descend together to play pickup board games, RPGs and share food, drink and stories.  It hasn't gathered in 2 months while moving localles, so all of us were excited to re-gather and play.

In interesting side-stories, I met a guy who had an absolutely outrageously pretty hand-bound leather copy of dungeon world (Dan Cetorelli).  Dyed leather cover, the 4 core class symbols on the edges, a carved dungeon map, aged and yellowed pages - it was really nice.

So apparently I must be making a name for myself as a story gamer, since the organizer for the RPG section of the Game Day dragged a couple people over to introduce them to me for potential games.  Of course, I had a handy copy of the sheets to show to folks, and it was decided that people wanted to try out DW.  We only had a little under 2 hours to play, so we jumped in and got started.

Setup

Everyone picked characters.  Our roster was:

Halwyr, the Elven Wizard
Wesley Human Cleric of Helfereth
Pendrel, the Elven Bard
Celion, the Elven Ranger with a mule named Bill

The game went a little differently right off the bat.  Usually I run high fantasy, but as the dragon story shows, it's grim and reminiscent of early editions.  The cleric picked the name Wesley (he stated it as a joke, while laughing) and Pendrel the bard asked him what he wielded as a weapon.  It was a warhammer, so he dubbed him Wesley ... the Crusher. Now I actually haven't seen DW run before a little more over-the-top, heroic or Gonzo, but when you run a game at a game con who you get in your session is kind of arbitrary, and I decided to run with what the group was doing and see how the game held up.

World establishment:  We found out Wesley was the Human Servant of Helfereth, who was the god of Light, Fire and War.  He was his strong arm on the mortal plane, and a sworn vanquisher of the undead.  Yeah, their front line fighter was the cleric (it worked out way better than I expected).

We found out that most elves lived only 30 years (contrary to standard tropes) and our bard was elderly at 29 and a half, and this was his last hurrah before the end.  We also found out that Elven Wizards were immortal, stealing the power from the other elves (where their magic comes from) and living forever once they accumulated enough power.

We found out that the Ranger Celion and his dancing ferocious mule Bill (MVP for the night) were guiding Wesley to Shadow Vale which had been created at the dawn of time  when Helfereth had killed the god of Death and Darkness, and that undead appeared wherever his blood had hit the earth, and the valley was created from the remnants of the dead god.

Game

So game begins.  The first fight was against a number of zombie goblins and orcs, and an undead ogre.  Wesley charged forward, and Pendrell riding on bill egged him on, blending hymns to Helfreth with stories of bravery (adding to his damage).  Wesley didn't pay attention to the well-being of his friends, so he charged ahead of the group, and the rest of the party got swarmed.  While the wizards spells, the rangers arrows and Bill's mighty hooves fought off the clawing undead, Wesley went toe-to-toe with the Ogre, whose knee he shattered.

The Ogre brought to his knees was in range for a sudden charge from bill, and a well placed headshot from the ranger.  Pressing on, they roleplayed dealing with the priests zealotry as opposed to the  rangers more down-to-earth approach to problems.  Pendrell negotiated a peace between the two, and Halwyr identified the ogre's club, finding it to a mystic weapon with the Messy tag, capable of shattering bones in addition to any damage that it does, but it is tied to the power of Havrok the god of death which she conceals from the rest of the group.

The party presses on, Ranger first.  As they walk through a series of stone spikes with corpses chained to the top, the ghostly spirits exit and assault the ranger.  He sends Bill off with the bard to safety, and bets that fire which purifies will work even on the ghostly.  He suffers their chilling touch, while wrapping his arrows in cloth and setting them on fire.

The bard huddles with the Bill,  and both are protected by the ferocious mystic bolts of Halwyr, while Wesley charges forward to aid Celion.  They group is victorious, and Havrok uses their victory to call down the notice of his god and cleanse and sanctify the area long enough for them to rest.  I ran the 'end of game' move here to show the how XP worked, and everyone leveled up once

At this point we were running short on time, so I had them simulate getting to the final confrontation by undertaking a Perilous Journey (which turned out to work pretty well).  We creep up on the evil altar of the god Havrok contained deep inside the bone structure of his ribcage.  Several named opponents were there (including Sheldor, the morningstar wielding champion of the evil god). 

The ranger and bill sneak up, using a sneaky headshot to take out one of the enemies.  Sheldors arch-lich compatriot casts withering spells at the party, whih the mage blocks (interetingly she rolls a 7-9 but only takes 1 damage, considering the over the top description of the enemy spell everyone agreed that this was a fantastic representation of the block).

Wesley brings a crushing strike down upon sheldor, rolling a 12+2 assist to hit (bard), and max on his 4 damage dice (d6, +d4 magic weapon, +2d4 bard boost), and the Wizard uses her ritual ability to cleanse the area, finishing the story for the night.

Review

The game was (as I mentioned) alot more fast, loose and over-the-top than the usual DW sessions I run, but it held up well.  Moreover, when our cleric decided to be a front-line fighter I winced.  But he not only held up well, but showed me a build pattern using sacrifice and empowering to add magic weapons to his strikes, becoming quite the combatant.  Wasn't a combo I had considered, but it's pretty awesome because the cleric-as-a-fighter is a D&D trope that while i don't necessarily care for, didn't seem very well supported, but wow did it work out great.

The bard is really strong.  Their healing is constant (meaning it never goes away or fades) but the ability to heal enemies on a jump is interesting.  Moreover, the additional damage is awesome, but I think their assist ability is potentially the most deadly.  Not broken strong, but strong.  I'm hoping to see the class again in play to compare it to others.  Overall it was a great addition to the party.

The wizard was still one of my favorites, and I like how Ritual and Arcane Shield were used here.

The ranger was pretty strong.  The extra damage isn't necessarily too out of line at higher levels, but at lower levels it gave some folks a sense of sticker shock.  I ran some math on it vs the original driver that the build seems based on and came up with some math that I'll share in a future post.

In terms of the game, how would you handle something like 'multishot'?  Namely 3 goblins were attacking Bill the mule.  If the ranger was trying to save him by rapid-firing some arrows to try and scatter the assaulters.  He hit, and killed one, but everyone wanted to know since you guys have mob rules against a PC if there was an attack-a-mob-back series of rules for the PCs in return (attacking 3 goblins? roll 3dDamage*w?)

Getting ready to run a couple games at Games on Demand at Origins, and this has already been requested :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:37:57 AM by stras »

noofy

Re: Gasp Actual Play Report
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »
Wonderful AP Stras! Thank yo uso much for sharing, I enjoyed it immensely :)
I especially liked your pacing, given the limited time frame, and was thoroughly impressed with the world generation / re-incorporation / goal setting and stakes questions you managed to articulate with a bunch of people at a con!

Did you have any dangers pre-planned, or was that off the cuff? If so, how did you find the monster creation 'on the fly'? Was there much non-combat moves (other than the Perilous Journey)?

You got me looking back to the Bard to see if they are that powerful, and you are right, they can be 'well played' by a canny gamer. We don't have a Bard in our group at present, but in past iterations, I would often turn their move back on them on a miss with Arcane Art for some rather consequential implications (Cacophonix anyone?).

In regards to your multishot, I would have run that as Defy Danger on Dex, with the player intent (on a 10+) being that the goblins scattered without being hurt. 7-9 Consequences would most definately include ammo reduction, and on a miss (evil chuckle) Bill being dragged away bound, but unharmed for the goblin's roast dinner(seperate them).

You have made a name for yourself as a Story Gamer! Your AP's are full of zest and wonderfully illustrate the rules, keep it up!

Oh, and Dan's Covers are astounding, I can't wait for my DW bespoke copy, its ordered!

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:17:28 AM »
Thanks for the AP! Good read.

Moreover, when our cleric decided to be a front-line fighter I winced.  But he not only held up well, but showed me a build pattern using sacrifice and empowering to add magic weapons to his strikes, becoming quite the combatant.  Wasn't a combo I had considered, but it's pretty awesome because the cleric-as-a-fighter is a D&D trope that while i don't necessarily care for, didn't seem very well supported, but wow did it work out great.

My ongoing campaign has a cleric of the Norse gods who takes the role of the front-line fighter. He's very effective in combat with empowered magic weapon, too. This is probably the go-to build for anyone who wants to mix it up in melee with their cleric. I'm encouraging the player to write up new "combat" spells so that it doesn't get stale. As a human cleric, he took magic missile and empowers that bad boy as well, describing it at lightning. Suffice it to say, he's not too concerned about having a d6 for his base damage...

The bard is really strong.  Their healing is constant (meaning it never goes away or fades) but the ability to heal enemies on a jump is interesting.  Moreover, the additional damage is awesome, but I think their assist ability is potentially the most deadly.  Not broken strong, but strong.  I'm hoping to see the class again in play to compare it to others.  Overall it was a great addition to the party.

I got to see a bard for the first time in a game I ran on Saturday night. It does seem quite strong in the area of Arcane Arts, especially healing and damage bonuses. But I won't get to see it in the long-term as he was strangled to death by a malignant wraith.

The ranger was pretty strong.  The extra damage isn't necessarily too out of line at higher levels, but at lower levels it gave some folks a sense of sticker shock.  I ran some math on it vs the original driver that the build seems based on and came up with some math that I'll share in a future post.

I'd love to see your math. I feel like it's balanced so long as the "negative" side of their companion is played up by the GM. If the GM ignores it, the damage is probably on the high side. Am I right?

In terms of the game, how would you handle something like 'multishot'?  Namely 3 goblins were attacking Bill the mule.  If the ranger was trying to save him by rapid-firing some arrows to try and scatter the assaulters.  He hit, and killed one, but everyone wanted to know since you guys have mob rules against a PC if there was an attack-a-mob-back series of rules for the PCs in return (attacking 3 goblins? roll 3dDamage*w?)

If you're trying to get the goblins to do something specific like scatter or leave Bill alone, then it's a Parley in my book. Maybe I'd rule that it was using Dex though since no words were exchanged, just arrows!

stras

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:57:45 PM »
Quote from: noofy
Did you have any dangers pre-planned, or was that off the cuff? If so, how did you find the monster creation 'on the fly'? Was there much non-combat moves (other than the Perilous Journey)?

I actually go in blank usually, and build from what my players tell me (play to find out what happens right?) but the book comes with a number of tools.  For example, I just opened to the undead section and stole a few things.  I usually sketch out the front and a couple dangers whenever we finish the first fight and folks break for bathroom (although I think we just ran straight through in this case).

They made camp, and I think the bard used his 'speak with someone openly' and there was some RP but since nobody was trying to force anyone elses' hand, things were ok.

My ongoing campaign has a cleric of the Norse gods who takes the role of the front-line fighter. He's very effective in combat with empowered magic weapon, too. This is probably the go-to build for anyone who wants to mix it up in melee with their cleric. I'm encouraging the player to write up new "combat" spells so that it doesn't get stale. As a human cleric, he took magic missile and empowers that bad boy as well, describing it at lightning. Suffice it to say, he's not too concerned about having a d6 for his base damage...

Dude that's so amazing >_> I ... I kind of want to play that now...

I'd love to see your math. I feel like it's balanced so long as the "negative" side of their companion is played up by the GM. If the GM ignores it, the damage is probably on the high side. Am I right?

No actually, I believe the ranger is a bit stronger than he should be.  It has to do with the stat number conversion and accounting for accuracy instead of just 'regular damage'.  I'll post it up here shortly.

Of course this is in part gut feeling, in part some solid math based on AW, and in part some math based on DW.  I have only six or so games under my belt total (wow has it only been three months since I started running this?) so take what I say with a grain of salt, as the designers have a wealth of experience and playtesting I can't hope to match.

If you're trying to get the goblins to do something specific like scatter or leave Bill alone, then it's a Parley in my book. Maybe I'd rule that it was using Dex though since no words were exchanged, just arrows!

Huh, I didn't think of that because ... undead.  With the not so much parley ... but that's an interesting take on it.  

Noofy's Defy Danger (where the danger is the mule getting eaten) seems the more obvious choice.

Thanks for the tips guys!

stras

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 01:18:54 AM »
No actually, I believe the ranger is a bit stronger than he should be.  

Aaaaaaaaand the math balances out in 2.3.

If anything I'd suggest Viper Strike (Pssssst, it's still called dual wield in the book-text and spreads) be used with bows too (When you take a moment to aim before firing a shot...).

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »
Odd, Dual Wield / Strike were removed from the xml on git but the changes didn't make it into the PDF.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 02:48:58 AM »
Hi Stras,

Nice writeup.

It sounds like a great game well run. Managing the time during one shots can be tricky.

This is not in the rules at all but I allow players to carryover damage from one target to another when they deal more than is required for a kill (if fictionally appropriate). If I deal 8 damage to a goblin with only 4 hit points left I allow 4 points of damage to go to the target next door.

I have had a fighter character in my game obliterate a target with a "messy" weapon and declare that his 2 extra hit points of carried damage are fear taking its toll on the target.

This I feel models multiple attacks beautifully in that fighters and the like are far more likely to get "extra attacks" than other classes due to their damage dice. The players of course love this. There is nothing more heroic than cutting a swathe through hordes of creatures.   

noofy

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 07:22:03 AM »
If anything I'd suggest Viper Strike (Pssssst, it's still called dual wield in the book-text and spreads) be used with bows too (When you take a moment to aim before firing a shot...).

Yeah! We sorta have been running this already, when Tarquin the ranger took the move, applied it to his 'custom built elvish crossbow' and designed it as a 'multi-shot' crossbow that has up to 5 quarrels loaded at once. (it had the clumsy, requires, piercing and messy tags) Wonderful meld of mechanics, situation and resultant story.

stras

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »
@StuartM: Sort of 'everyone gets cleave'.  I really dig it.  Particularly because the Warrior is more likely to carry 1 piercing, making them a true terror to all goblin kind.  Wow, no feats/moves required, baked right in, doesn't matter in big fights against dragons and the like, great for mooks ... ... ... ... I'm really starting to like this idea.  I think I'll use it and see how it goes.