Wealth: Special move

• 17 Replies

noofy

Re: Wealth: Special move
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 12:49:37 AM »
Huh, Nick Doyle just posted these EXCELLENT custom moves for AW, so I thought I'd steal 'em, for DW Kingdom level play. Oh yes, these will be fan-frickin'-tastic for PvP Kingmaker-esque diplomacy, wrangling and staving off the inevitable wars,

When you offer promises instead of payment, detail the terms and roll +CHA (or +Prosperity if you are the soveriegn):
On a 10+, they're acceptable to the terms, you (or your kingdom) gain 1-debt for each point of Wealth you're short, and you're on your merry way.
On a 7-9, the terms are acceptable, only they want something more: a favor, strings attached, or a bigger debt than the value you're receiving.
On a miss, no amount of political maneuvering will grant your request, oh and you've pissed them off.

When somebody owes you, you are always considered to have leverage when you Parley with them, and you may choose to roll +debt against them instead of +CHA.

When you're in debt, at the start of each session roll +debt (if you owe more than one person or kingdom then just roll the highest):
On a 10+, they're looking for the full value, right now, and they'll do whatever they can to extract it from you or your kingdom.
On a 7-9, they're willing to let it slide for a bit longer, but they're going to want something for their trouble: a favor, a little something something, or maybe a down payment.
On a miss, they've got other things on their mind, but they'll get around to you eventually.

Oh for reference, I've been using each Steading 'stat' of 5 tags as a scale from -1 to +3 that can be added to kingdom moves.

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 03:00:27 AM »
Those moves are so good.

Oh for reference, I've been using each Steading 'stat' of 5 tags as a scale from -1 to +3 that can be added to kingdom moves.
Aaah! I thought that's what you might have done. So something like:

Influence -1
  Might +2
  Sovereignty +1
  Territory 0
  Treasure +3

Are you combining these stats when making a Kingdom move--just as Reign Company actions combine two qualities?

noofy

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 05:22:06 AM »
Yeah, exactly! The Steading Tags tend to add an 'attribute bonus' to a company's kingdom moves (sort of like a linked test in Burning Wheel) but we've tended to only use one quality per roll (rather than two as in Reign), this means the players have to be a little more focused and descriptive in their moves. Do do it, do it yeah? That way they tend to snowball into each other or scale down in size as the situation requires.

Oh, so you missed your kingdom level parley to secure trading rights in return for the dragon army? I wonder how that plays out? Hmmm, lets zoom in to the castle throne room and see just what sort of trouble the ambassador has got herself into! The King is mighty affronted at your audacity, the queen livid that you would presume use of her dragons for your wars and the royal guard is bristling menacingly and there seems no pulling this one back....   What do you do?