Profit & Loss

• 1 Replies
Profit & Loss
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:52:12 PM »
One of the stumbling blocks for me, so far, has been creating a strong system for measuring, gaining, spending, and losing wealth. I do like the way FFG has Profit Factor as a stat that you can roll against, but I also feel like making profit simply a -1 to +3 stat for rolling against gives insufficient granularity to wealth. Rogue Traders should always have the motivation to keep bringing in that filthy lucre.

I've basically completely ignored it in my games so far. Currently, the rules assume a system where profit is basically like barter, but collectively rather than individually owned and spent. 1-profit can outfit a battalion, feed the ship for a year, or purchase an artifact-quality eviscerator.

I still feel like this system lacks the right qualities. Perhaps a Profit Factor stat with strata would work...
+++THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Ambition knows no bounds.+++

Rogue Trader: Apocalypse

Re: Profit & Loss
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:31:08 AM »
Strata is the way I was gonna suggest here. Profit was one of the few rules I read in the FFG 40K rpgs that I actually really, really liked. Another possibility would be to make it a "roll + barter risked" kind of thing. I say 'risked' instead of spent, because one of the consequences of missing or getting a mixed result could be lost/endangered ventures/wealth/whatever, turning it into a neat situation complicator.

I haven't looked at the original profit rules in a while, but don't they have some sort of strata already? Like 'personal, battalion, etc'?