Barter Books

• 3 Replies

Arvid

Barter Books
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:32:39 AM »
I don't know, but the thing that really hits me with this video is the idea of books for barter. There is a lot of other evocative imagery and ideas as well, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FrHkKXFRbCI

I've been reading this absolutely fascinating book "Debt: The 5000 first years" by David Graeber, that examines debt, guilt, obligation, barter, economy, currency... I could totally see the Barter Books store as a local hardhold, the hardholder knows the value of pre-apocalyptic knowledge and thus will pay for any books presented to him.

Since a book can always be spent as tribute and trade with the hardholder, it's become an established currency among the locals. There is this advanced economy of debt, obligation and control through books. The library is at the same time a bank. Valuable books have blood on them. Do you just use books for currency, or do you read them as well? Makes a huge difference.

Arvid

Re: Barter Books
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:42:06 AM »
When you spend time to read a book, roll+sharp. On a hit, you learn something from it. On a 7-9, choose 2. On a 10+, choose 3. On a miss, it was a waste of time.
- You learn something useful to your current situation
- You learn something profound, mark experience
- You finish it without help
- You finish it without neglecting other duties

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 06:39:29 PM »
Everything about book bartering sounds great, but with that move, does it allow for a re-roll after a miss? Or if you fail, it means you just don't have any way to apply the knowledge it contains correctly?

PC: "I'm gonna read me this 'Advanced Brain Surgery' that Dremmer gave me for payment. *rolls* Damn."

MC: "Eventually, you realize there's not a damn thing you can use in here without a fully functional Old World hospital, years of study of the nervous system, and a Brain Wave Tricorder. Tough cookies."
-or-
MC: "It was a bust for you... but Bogs restarted your brain once, yeah? Maybe she can (help you study/roll to read it herself)?"

Arvid

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »
I suppose I would leave it open. A miss might be...

"You spend time trying to get into the old age lingo until you realise it's still gibberish to you"
"Theres a bunch of references to equipment and chemicals you do not recognize at all"
"Seems some asshole ripped out a vital part of it"

And then it's up to the player if they react with a "fuckin bullshit" or "Hell no, I'm going to find the one who gets it / has the equipment / ripped out the pages!"

I wouldn't shy for harder moves either.

"It's ideas consume you. -1ongoing until you try them out or get rid of the book"
"As you settle down for a nice read, Rolfball comes barging in - 'You're the fucker who got New Moon before I did!' he says."
"This book really needs your concentration, so when you haul it out for the afternoon watch you botch noticing Satan and his choppers until they're close enough to hear"