Write a move (or more than one) for a hack not yet written!

• 1 Replies
Write a move (or more than one) for a hack not yet written!
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:34:37 PM »
Another one of those "just because I can" threads, I guess.

When you dig into your past in search of a memory to face a present situation, roll +memory. On a 10+, you did it flawlessy back then; thell the MC how and take +1 ongoing. On a 7-9, you remember something useful, but it's complicated: the MC will tell you what happened and offer you a different course of action to reach the same objective. If you do as he says, take +1 ongoing. On a miss, you revive a nightmare: the MC will tell you what happened and you'll take -1 ongoing.

For example, Katarina is hiding behind a corner looking at Brush, the Dome of Pleasure's bouncer. She wants in, he doesn't. "Of course I dealt with him before," says the player, and she rolls the dice.
On a 10+, she tells me "He has a thing for redheads; I just have to shake my boobs a bit and he'll let me in" and takes +1 to seduce Brush until the situation changes.
On a 7-9, I tell her "The last time you tried to convince him, it was fruitless, but shortly after that you learned he's a thing for very young girls; if you tell him the location of Joy, maybe..."; if she's willing to sell her young friend, she'll take +1 ongoing to convince Brush to let her him.
On a miss, I tell her "Yeah, he has a thing for redheads. You know it since he spiked your drink and had his way with you on the kitchen floor" and she'll take -1 ongoing until she can prove to Brush (and/or herself) that he can't take advantage of her anymore.

Re: Write a move (or more than one) for a hack not yet written!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 03:29:49 AM »
Never done a new move before, and I admit it's a bit silly but here goes...

When you get hip, roll +trendy. On a 10+, you predict the next hot fad before everyone else. On a 7-9, you can be an early adopter, or at least ditch it before it gets stale. On a miss, you are totally out of the loop on this one.

Bailey is a milliner (hat-maker-person) who's looking to expand their store but needs some sexy new merchandise to fill the additional space. Bailey says "I call my insider Justin and tell him I'm making bunny hats. What does he think?" and the MC asks for a roll.
On a 10+, The MC might say, "Justin says he knows a big-shot designer who's about to release a line of bunny pajamas, and the hats sound very cutting-edge." Bailey makes twice as much scratch as normal when selling the popular hats!
On a 7-9, The MC might say, "He says bunny pajamas are totes hot in Onionville right now, but he's also had trouble finding a matching hat." Bailey makes about as much profit as usual, even though they just spent a bundle remodeling the shop.
On a miss, the MC might say, "Justin rambles a bit about shoes before he asks you to make a kitty hat for his niece. Everyone likes kitties, right?" Bailey asks, if they slap hard enough, will Justin feel it through the phone. The shop's future is uncertain at this time...