A Bit On Fronts

• 9 Replies
A Bit On Fronts
« on: February 03, 2012, 12:16:38 AM »
There's a fairly detailed conversation about Fronts and their use over at Story-Games just now, which I figured I'd repost over here in case anyone was interested.

http://story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=15757&page=1#Item_24

Re: A Bit On Fronts
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:20:37 AM »
Following that conversation really helped me puzzle out what your vision for Fronts and Dangers is. Your diagram was very useful!

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:38:08 AM »
A big part of the changes we'll be making between now and publication is of a guiding nature; stuff like play examples and prep examples.  I think that should help put players of DW on the right track. 

It's been an eye-opening thread for us, too, so thanks for your questions!

noofy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:40:16 AM »
Thanks Adam, that is enlightening indeed! I can't wait for the final ruleset. This game is so fricken awesome! This chapter on front design (and the thoughts you elucidate over at SG) are pure gold.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:54:08 AM »
Thanks, noofy - I'm pretty proud of how the Fronts system has been retooled for DW.  I'm going to rewrite a little bit of that chapter between the Beta and the full release and will probably incorporate some of the stuff from the thread - so thanks to everyone who had questions!

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 08:20:01 PM »
I would like to see that diagram in the final book. Charts are good.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »
I second that.  I feel the Fronts and Dangers guidance is some of the best content of the rulebook.  It really boils down an effective way to organize and manage threats in a campaign, and those ideas could carry over to many RPGs.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »
I second that.  I feel the Fronts and Dangers guidance is some of the best content of the rulebook.  It really boils down an effective way to organize and manage threats in a campaign, and those ideas could carry over to many RPGs.

Thanks!  It's funny, because some people read that chapter and just say "well, duh" and others see it as a revelatory action towards organizing their campaign content.  I am a big note-taker and organizer, so I find it really useful, myself.  Glad you like it.

noofy

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:20:14 PM »
Yup, the 'well duh' folks can just look at the pretty diagram and move on, whereas I'm all for its inclusion in the book! Yes please :) I love flowcharts and decision trees, as I too, am a visual learner.

Hey Adam, have you seen the similar charts in the 4e DMG2, Pathfinder Gamemastery Guide, and the WHFRP 3e GM book? They make some assumptions about system expectations on the GM as author, but I find the addition of the icon pictures in the example flowcharts (locations or NPCs or monsters primarily) adds even more 'oomph' to their visual appeal.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »
Hey Adam, have you seen the similar charts in the 4e DMG2, Pathfinder Gamemastery Guide, and the WHFRP 3e GM book? They make some assumptions about system expectations on the GM as author, but I find the addition of the icon pictures in the example flowcharts (locations or NPCs or monsters primarily) adds even more 'oomph' to their visual appeal.

I have all three of those books but haven't had a chance to take a look at them in this light.  I totally will. 

I agree, flowcharts.  I will talk to Sage about including them in places they might help!