[Playbooks] More than one of the same playbook in play at a time

• 4 Replies

Chroma

[Playbooks] More than one of the same playbook in play at a time
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
So, I've got a couple of AW games ongoing and recently a new player asked if they could join and they said they had an idea for their character.  After a little discussion, it was obvious that this idea would be best served by the Operator... but the game already has an Operator, but the concepts are so completely different it would be next to impossible for them to step on each other's toes, so, that got me to thinking...

Has anyone played in a game with multiples of the same playbook in play?  I know it's "not allowed" in the first session, though there are no status quos, but I was more curious about subsequent play.  Any games with two opposing Hoci or rival PC Hardholders or even multiple Operators (the most versatile playbook!) in play?

Just curious to see if anyone has broken this ground already.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

Chroma

Re: [Playbooks] More than one of the same playbook in play at a time
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
Wow, sixty-two views and no thoughts/experiences?

Now I'm going to have to allow it, just to see what happens!  :)
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 11:04:16 AM »
hahaha I already responded in person, but I suppose that doesn't help any curious readers, now does it?

I have always felt in past games the same way I do in Apocalypse World. If I am playing a class, then you leave my class alone!  It's mine and I want to be unique in the way that class/playbook/archetype makes me unique and valuable. Now that being said, if both players of the class discuss it or simply give their blessing and agree to allowing the duplication of playbooks then I say go for it!

Like you said Chroma, there are no status quos in Apocalypse World. =)

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »
I dont like it. It takes away from the uniqueness of the playbooks. The Battlebabe isn't as sexy if there are three or four of them running around.
I wouldn't even call it a rule really. It's more just like a stylistic decision on the writer's part. I think just having two gunluggers or whatever in the game would find the players wishing their character was a little more special.

Besides, playbooks can easily emulate many of the best aspects of each other. Like with the Hardholder example: i would suggest to one of the players that they play the Hocus or the Gunlugger instead, because they can also get holdings and gangs. And be almost as hardholder as any Hardholder. Then you also get to play through this cool story about how they obtained those things.

but no, i keep the playbooks one to a game.
Check out my new book of apocalyptic fiction!
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/taylorwhiteshowPreview=true

Chroma

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »
I dont like it. It takes away from the uniqueness of the playbooks. The Battlebabe isn't as sexy if there are three or four of them running around.

No one's saying 3-4 of each running around!  *laugh*

Of all the playbooks, I'd think Operator is the one that most allows for "multiple instances" of it in play.  An Operator who's into compound defence, doing murders and bodyguarding is going to be quite a different chummer from one who's into honest work, brokering deals, and making deliveries...  

To say nothing of how cool two rival, PC Hardholders could be!  CONFLICT!