Beta questions

• 92 Replies
Beta questions
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:36:59 AM »
It says in the email attached to the beta that highlighting stats has been eliminated. However, the text in the beta has stat highlighting in it. Do we still have stat highlighting?

Re: Beta questions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
I think that was accidentally left in the text.  See the end of session move.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:01:58 PM by mease19 »

noofy

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:14:15 PM »
The advancement section still mentions monster and danger levels (for comparison), even though they are now removed.

Ranger's called shot still mentions the saving throw (which is easy enough to replace with Defy Danger as suggested). We found however that its imperative (as always) to fictionally reinforce these mechanical effects, otherwise the move becomes very 4e. Perhaps a cue? Such as: On a 10+ your aim is unerringly true, detail your marksmanship....

The new bonds xp system is a good thing, but is it enough to maintain parity with Stats xp? Say the players each resolve a bond in a session, plus they each achieve an alignment goal, plus they tick all the 3 end of session 'adventuring cues'. That's still only 3-5 xp in a session. We are acheiving around 8-10 using stats (or the BBC 'keys' variant based on stats). Not that slower advancement is a bad thing, I also like how players are far more likely to level up at the end of session, thus having more of a 'player's turn' to narratively justify their advance.

Looks good Sage and Adam! Can't wait for the new playbooks!

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »
It's way slower advancement than I expect from DW. I usually count on players to earn 15-25 XP in a 4 hour session with stat highlighting (or BBC).

I don't like the way it incentivises inter-party drama (because of the antagonistic bonds and zero-sum alignment rewards). I'm not sure if that is intentional or not.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:06:14 PM »
I was surprised by the seemingly slow advancement as well.  However, if you're using the fast (5 xp/level) varient then its not so bad.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »
I like the slower advancement.  The changes to XP are pretty much in line with that I've been doing already in the games I run.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »
I agree that the advancement with the new XP seems a little pokey for me, but the new XP system is great. We just need to change the goalposts.

I'd put advancement at 4xp+current level in XP to advance to the next level. Quick advancement in the beginning when the characters are becoming heroes, slower advancement when they've already proven themselves.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »
How much do healing potions and antitoxin weigh?  There's nothing listed for them (I assume that they're supposed to be portable).

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 06:44:31 PM »
In the Gear choices for some Classes it lists Healing Potions as 1 Weight.

The Redbook version lists Healing Potion as 1 Weight, and Antitoxin as 0 Weight.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »
It says that if something doesn't have a weight, it's not meant to be carried.  I could swear that I read that things defaulted to 1 weight somewhere though (it would say if it were more or less).

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »
There's a handful of little things that got left over from the previous text.  Any reference to Saving Throws or Monster levels, for example.  We're hacking those out with a sharp sword wherever we find them.  Thanks for pointing them out.  Highlighting, too.  Toast.

@Kingstonc - the new XP system feels a bit slow?  That's precisely the kind of feedback we're looking for.  As you play more of the game, keep an eye on that and let us know how often folks are leveling?

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 11:26:09 AM »
Will we be seeing quick iterations of the rules in the coming weeks?

sage

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 02:00:35 PM »
We'll be doing edit-level revisions often, but those shouldn't change how the game plays, just clarify the rules. We'll be updating to Beta 2 next month which will have significant new content.

noofy

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 12:00:01 AM »
Ranger's advances still list NEW TRICK Add another option to you animal companion.
Tricks seem to have disappeared from the animal build. Maybe choose a new strength option or a new training option would make more sense / clearer? Does this mean their ferocity / cunning increases too? (to a max of +3)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:42:03 AM by noofy »

noofy

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 12:38:47 AM »
Soooo, one of my players (the thief) wanted some ubiquitous throwing knives. Hmmmm. I made a call and said sure, what do they look like? He described them as like a bandolier of death strung across his bulging belly. Nice.

So I drew an analogy with a bundle of arrows, saying that his bandolier of throwing daggers was 2 Ammo, 2 Gold, 1 Weight.