Minimum number of PC

• 4 Replies
Minimum number of PC
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
Hey guys sorry if this is answered somewhere but a search didn't give me anything.

I'm considering buying the core book for AW, and to run some sessions with 3 PCs. Is that enough or do i absolutely need 4+ ?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Chroma

Re: Minimum number of PC
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:08:19 PM »
I'm considering buying the core book for AW, and to run some sessions with 3 PCs. Is that enough or do i absolutely need 4+ ?
Three PCs is totally workable... I think just two PCs would be tough.

I've had some awesomely intense sessions with three players... everyone gets so much screen time that trouble is fast and furious!

I highly recommend getting the AW rulebook!
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

Arvid

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 03:33:31 AM »
We've bumped it up to four players now, but for long it was 1 MC and 3 players. Worked just fine for us, in fact it was my favorite number of players. I think I like our new 4 player constellation even a little more, though.

We've played 1 MC+2 players once when someone didn't show up, but we felt we needed to be at least 3 players for things to lift off.

Your mileage may wary.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:10:19 PM »
I've had no problem at all MCing for 2 players--once I adjusted to having to make way more moves than I was used to with 5 players.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 11:54:01 AM »
I'm running a couple of games right now with 2-3 players each session, it's usually 3 but occasionally someone can't show up and we play anyways. I won't say that it's perfect, but its not too bad at all. The players get alot of screen time and you have to be quicker on your improv because you'll get less break time as the MC with fewer players. But I still recommend it, players will advance quickly and enjoy all the focus they receive.

In contrast, as a player i've only ever played in games 4-6 players large and still had a great time. I'm in fewer scenes but it gives me a nice amount of time to think of what I want my character to do when it comes back to me, especially after a nice cliffhanger moment. Big groups or small groups both have their pro's and con's. What it basically comes down to for me is that I love this game so much I'll play alongside or MC any number of people, it's still gonna be a blast!