Dungeon Starter Resources

• 17 Replies

noofy

Dungeon Starter Resources
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:56:14 PM »
I searched for a thread that gathered all of the free internet dungeon style outlines from open source games, blogs and the like, but couldn't find one. So.....

Post your links to dungeon maps, one page dungeons, brief outlines, dungeon starters, whatever. Just inspirational material to spur own your own vision of Dungeon World.

Between the doors Blog (OSH)
http://fictivefantasies.wordpress.com/2011/11/07/maptacular-monday-the-progressive-underport/

Dyson Logos - Very Cool mini-dungeon maps and outlines
http://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/

How to Host A Dungeon - Tony's EXCELLENT game. Well worth buying the full copy.
http://planet-thirteen.com/Dungeon.aspx

Year of the Dungeon - Tony's excellent Blog with more Dungeons than ever!
http://blog.microdungeons.com/

Dungeonslayers Maps - Although designed for this OSR system, the detail is light enough to make your own dungeon world.
http://www.dungeonslayers.com/?page_id=112

Please Add more :)

Re: Dungeon Starter Resources
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 09:08:50 PM »
Marshall's dungeon starters are awesome:

The Goblin Hole

Black Oak Ridge

The Shallow Sea

The Escape

noofy

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 07:21:04 AM »

noofy

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »
I've been using Dyson's mini maps as 'rumours' on the old adventure hook move (from Apoc D&D), I turn the move back on the players and let them establish details about the tidbits that Dyson gives with his maps - works a treat.

I also have been using the variant (from a story games thread) that on a miss of any 'establish fiction about the world move', the answers to the questions aren't true, but if you act on the false information, instead of gaining +1 Forward, you mark experience. Sort of a bennie to encourage complicating the characters lives.

I love these profile maps! The actual floor plans are established through play either with just descriptions of locations, handdrawn maps as we go, or pulling out dungeon tiles that 'fit', often with supplementary Discern Reality or Spout Lore Rolls.

Thank's Dyson! http://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/2011/08/25/classic-dungeon-map-the-tower-on-five-coppers-hill/

Up at the top of Five Coppers Hill there is an old tower, still in fine shape for all it’s age. It is said that something foul and inhuman haunts the basement of the tower, and indeed there is a secret door there that leads into the depths.

noofy

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 06:22:58 PM »
Dyson's little goat pass...

This is meant to be a classic adventure scene where the brave heroes are descending down from a high mountain pass via a series of narrow switchbacks along the steep face of the mountain. This particular spot is well known because the narrow path crosses behind a smaller promontory (the “Little Goat” according to local parlance, thus the origin of the name) and several caves and artificial constructions have been dug into the face of the mountains here.

*Why are you descending from the high pountain pass?
*Where did you obtain this map?
*What legends are there about these caves?
*What monsters are rumoured to dwell here?
*Are the caverns more extensive than the map would seem to suggest?

noofy

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 06:38:43 PM »

Anverson's Well

Anverson’s Well is a mini-dungeon map I drew for a game where I wanted the classic “secret door in the well” trick to actually go somewhere vaguely interesting, without it being the back door to the local megadungeon.

Here the secret door leads to a rough tunnel and caves that have been partially enlarged by hand. The area is in poor repair, with one door smashed to pieces long ago, and never repaired or replaced.

*How do you know Anverson?
*What treasures are rumoured to be found here?
*Why did you think to investigate the well?
*Why is the dungeon in a state of disrepair, what horrors lurk beyond the enlarged caves?

noofy

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »
The Lost Crypts By Dyson

The Lost Crypts represents a natural water-excavated cavern that has been used in ages past by various cultures as a repository for the dead. Over the years some other residents have moved in and departed, but one crypt remains secure behind a secret door along the old river path (the bottom of the old river path, on the top left corner, is probably full of old skulls and skeletal remains of lesser persons who were buried with the river or in the pools here to be close to the renowned elder in the secret crypt).

Along the new river path there is a well concealed cavern containing a small shrine and altar.

And of course, you can see where the grey and or purple worms have dug their way into the cavern, and then departed, disrupting even the flow of the river with their excavations.

*(cleric) what is your relationship to these tombs?
*Why aren't they used now as repositories of the dead?
*Who has been using the small shrine? and For what purpose?
*What caused the influx of purple worms?

noofy

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »
Dyson's Tutorial Dungeon

Since Dyson drew this as a tutorial, I thought I would have a go at the hook....

Carlyle's Crag.
Lord Carlyle's frontier tower, perched atop a windswept peak, the fabled 'first defense' of the realm, has been razed.... But by Whom? Lord Carlyle has dissapeared, all attempts at correspondance have failed. Rumours speak of an ancient cavern network under the Crag, beneath his notorious dungeons. Inhabited once by dwellers of the deep, and providing the stone for the keep, legends say they have never been fully explored...
*How do you know that the keep has fallen?
*What relationship is Lord Carlyle to you?
*What frontier does his keep guard?
*What has spawned the notoriety of the dungeons?
*Which dwellers of the deep have re-claimed the caverns?

noofy

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 07:52:06 PM »
Huh, I Like Dyson's blurb better for the previous map! so here it is!
Grey Dragon Hill

Grey Dragon Hill is the ruins of a small fortress north of town. The ground floor of the fortress remains with only a few scattered ruins about it on the hilltop and environs. A mighty dragon once soared out of the mists of this hill and destroyed the fortress in one morning ages past. Today the ruins are avoided for fear that the dragon returns, but also because it is said that those who died defending the fortress from the wyrm were turned into fierce and hungry ghouls by its dire magical breath.

*There are plans for the ruins to be re-built. Why?
*Are the undead defenders at rest?
*Has the Dragon or her offspring returned?
*what teasures are to be had from Lord Carlyle's notorious collection?

noofy

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 08:07:35 PM »
Dyson's Map - Soren's Dig

*Its an ancient ruin in the side of a hill... Which hill? Who built it and why?
*Why is it a ruin? Is it still occupied?
*How do you know Soren, and why is he digging?
*What has he found?

noofy

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »
The Ruins of Corvel on the Mount by Dyson @ Dyson Logos.

*Who is Corvel? Hero, villian or God?
*Why are the Ruins on a mountain? Which Mountain?
*Why are the caverns secret?

noofy

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 09:03:08 PM »
So here's another quick and dirty example of taking two of Dyson's maps, plaguarising a situation from a well known RPG Publisher (Blurb) and hashing the two for a DW adventure. Simply ask lots of questions, make a few setting establishing moves and away you go!

When the ancient prison burned into the underground, prisoners, guards, and a host of vicious incarcerated nere'do'wells met a scorching end with no escape. In the decades since, the nearby town has shunned the fire-scarred ruins, telling tales of unquiet spirits that wander abandoned cellblocks. But when a mysterious evil disturbs the tenuous spiritual balance, a ghostly prison riot threatens to consume the sorrounding countryside in madness and ethereal flames

Somewhere beyond that last hallway (the one without crosshatching around it) is access to the rest of the sub-city

*What's the ancient prison's name? Who built it? For which prisoners?
*what do you know about the unquiet dead terrorising the countryside?
*You have had visions of a terrible evil awakening. Tell us about it.
*Who was rumoured to have taken up residence in the abandoned prison?

noofy

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 10:26:44 PM »

Owen's Mine - Dyson's map: http://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/page/6/

It is a side view only map of a mine shaft and associated tunnels along with a kobold delve on the same hill with a secret passage linking it to the mine. Owen abandoned the mine after losing too many men to strange events that were blamed on a curse because he had supposedly dug too deep into forbidden places… But it was probably just malicious kobolds sabotaging the place.

*How do you know Owen?
*What was Owen Mining For?
*What have survivors told you about the 'strange events'?
*Kobolds aren't usually an issue for stalwart miners, what else has emerged from the underdark?

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »
These are awesome! Great find!

noofy

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 04:30:45 AM »
Aaron over at RPG musings made a list a while back that would work suspiciously well as 'impressions' for a horror based dungeon starter.

http://www.rpgmusings.com/2011/02/a-strange-devil-in-the-details/