Bloodstone AP

• 13 Replies
Bloodstone AP
« on: December 18, 2011, 06:37:43 AM »
Here's a brief AP, heavy on the fiction, of a recent one off of the dungeon from the book. Overall we had a lot of fun though I do wonder how it would play as a longer term game. There was a fair bit of levelling up. It was quite deadly (or potentially deadly). I was impressed, as MC, of two things. Firstly, it didn't seem very strange after a short while to not have any dice, or any antagonistic power as GM. Secondly, there was a lot of emergent play. In fact, it was mostly emergent play. The players got into it though most of them are fairly new to indie gaming. They came up with great ideas and used their moves to great advantage, especially the discern realities move and make camp move.

Five adventurers stand before the great bronze doors of the Bloodstone temple. they have assembled to stop the Wizard Grundloch from awakening the ancient artifact and taking over their home city of Battlemoore. The party are;
Gwendoline, elven Magic User. She carries her precious spell book with her at all times, and has sharp eyes, wild hair and stylish clothes over a thin body.
Farley, a thief, with sharp eyes, messy hair, and a lithe body, disguised as a holy man. He wears leather armour, and carries a supply of throwing daggers. He trusts Bjorn, btut has stolen Gwendoline’s undergarments for his own amusement.
Next is Admond, an elven ranger. He has animal eyes, a bald head, camo gear over a wild body. He is accompanied by a wolf, which loyally licks his hand. He carries a bow and a sword, and wears a chainmail vest.
Crassius, next, is a Paladin. He has fiery eyes under a quiff, and a fancy holy sybol on his chest. He is very buff, and carries a longsword under chain mail. He and Bjorn are old battle comrades.
Bjorn is the party’s Drawrven cleric, bald in a monks habit, a wiry body. he wears Dwarfish chain and wields a battleaxe.

Before them are an assorted group, an uneasy alliance of goblins and lizard men, bribed by Grundloch to stop them. Crassius has no time for shilly-shallying, and calls a challenge out to the goblins and lizard men, who respond by attacking them! Battle is joined. Gwendoline, afraid for her skin, shimmies up a nearby tree. The goblins are dispatched, largely thanks to Crassius and Bjorn, fighting side by side just like the old days.

witht heir enemies swiftly defeated, they regard the large bornze doors, but Gwendoline cries out - she is still stuck up the tree. Farley clambers up the tree to help her, but Gwendoline drops her spell books while trying to hold on, and Farley puts his hand on something that buzzes - and recognises it as a beehive! angry bees start to swarm around them all. In panic, Gwendoline falls from the tree but Crassius manages to catch her. Bees start to swarm inside Crassius’ armour and they all run for the door. They are not able to easily push throigh the doors as they are only open a crack. Crassius squeezes through, and Gwendoline realises she has forgotten her spellbook. Admond manages to dash through but his wolf doesn’t follow. They watch with a mixture of horror and amusement as the wolf runs over to the spellbook and pees on it, marking it as his territory. Admond calls his dog back, and tries to convince Crassius to go out and do battle with the bees, but he refuses. Eventually Farley digs out some rope from his pack, and Admond expertly lassoos  the book and hauls it in. They pull the ancient doors shut to protect them from the bees.

They do a quick assessment of their wounds - most of them are badly hurt. Bjorn casts Cure Light Wounds, but Gwendoline is still at deaths door from her fall. They make camp and decide to picnic there. Admond, expert at camping, finds a secluded overhang where they can rest, get their breath and have a refreshing snack without being seen. Eventually they feel refreshed and ready to head on.  There are two tunnels. Bjorn discerns realities, and knows that the upper chamber leads directly to the bloodstone, but only after a great fall, and Grundloch went down the other corridor. They decide to take the lower path.

As they enter the chamber, they see on the stairs the body of an adventurer, partially mummified so his look of fear is still visible. He died in terror. As they enter the room they learn why - a ghost rises up and shrieking, calls out for them to leave. Bjorn knows that ghosts are held to this Earth by some uncompleted task, so he tries to reason with the ghost. Meanwhile Admond dashes pasts the ghosts and runs out of the room on the other side. He has seen the tracks of Grundloch and leaves the others to their fates.

The ghosts are unresistant to reason, so eventually Bjorn manages to turn them, but not before he is hurt by a ghosts clasping hands. Crassius lays on hands, healing Bjorn.

They hear a crashing noise - Admond has collapsed some stairs and fallen deep into some sort of muck. hovering above him are several vicious looking giant fireflies. They wade into combat. Gwendoline hangs back but dashes down the collapsed stairs when three goblins run towards her from the upper tunnels. Farley dives down, and buries himself in the mud, which appears to be firefly guano. He is pleasantly surprised to find a large gold nugget buried in the guano. He pockets it, and hides, completely submerged, while the others fight.

The fireflies split up and half attack the golbins. They flee, and the heroes are able to dispatch the others with ease. Farley gathers up as much gold as he can, but he is thwarted by Bjorn, who hides as much as he can from Farley. Gwendoline levels up, consults her damp spell book and manages to cure serious wounds on Crassius. Beyond they discern is the chamber of the bloodstone, where they sense Grundloch has just completed his ceremony...

They step through to be confronted by a menagerie of creatures. Gwendoline is killed by a Manticore, but Bjorn discerns that they are only illusions and eventually, with great difficulty manages to convince the others of this. Gwendoline then wakes, realising she only thought she was dead (!)...

And there the game ended - it was late, though we were all disappointed at not making it to the climax.

noofy

Re: Bloodstone AP
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:38:11 PM »
Hey Screen Monkey! Welcome to the adventurer's guild! It looks like you have got the hang of the way the game plays. I love the AP, I can see the moves you have made as GM too, just through the fiction - which is the way it should be! Awesome.

I'm just curious... What makes you say there is a lack of Antagonistic GM power? Its my view thatthe principles and agenda support you in your ability to challenge the PC's. You are their biggest fan, but you have to fill their lives with adventure (antagonism to their intentions), right?

Great AP, I can't wait to read more!

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:11:51 AM »
Hey noofy,

I think to clarify I mean antagonistic power in the traditional sense as a GM, where you have active antagonists rolling against the PC's, basically mirroring the rules that the PC's use.

I really enjoyed this game and I'd like to see if we can get back to it some day, for a longer run.

noofy

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:37:09 AM »
Oh yeah, totally. It makes so much more sense to just make a move than 'rolling' for it behind a screen. I've been avoiding rolling as much as I can in my other rpg's too. I just announce wonderful consequences for failure  to the PC's intent instead. Looking forward to reading more on your game as it unfolds. :)

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 04:53:02 AM »
Yes, it feels like Burning Wheel complications taken to it's logical extreme. 'Why not just make everything complications?'

Don't hold your breath for more AP - not sure if and when I'll get to run this again.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:03:30 AM »
Although I have signed up to do a one-off at a con next month ;-)

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »
Hooray for proselytising!

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 01:16:36 AM »
Which I believe you have enrolled in, Anarchangel!

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 02:49:37 AM »
Of course! I knew I'd seen your handle before!

Hi! See you at Kapcon! Sorry to take a slot from a full-time Wellingtonian!*

*Not really!

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 02:53:36 AM »
I guess in light of that realisation, I have two questions:
1) Are you on NZRaG?
2) Who played in this game - anyone I might know?

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 05:03:32 AM »
It's all good - I just hope I don't embarrass myself in front of someone who has obviously run a lot more DW than me. We'll see where the game takes us. It's a shame your game is full up I would have loved to play.

I'm not on NZRaG but I do play with the Descarte crew on NZRaG, having just rejoined them after an absence of eleven years.

Proselytising is right - I want to spread the indie gaming vibe as far as I can.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 03:43:04 PM »
I'm interested to see how someone completely unconnected to my local DW circle runs the game, actually. I'm hoping to learn some interesting new approaches or twists on familiar things.

I'll be happy to run my game again after the con. I'm GMing in the Games on Demand room in all of Sunday's sessions and could re-run it then as well, although I'll probably run something more traditional and dungeon bash-y if I'm requested to run DW. I suspect I will be - I'm always mouthing off about it on my blog, so I bet there will be a few people wondering what the fuss is about!

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 01:35:16 AM »
Well, if I can spare the time I'll try to make it. I'm running Freemarket & Mountain witch as well so I'll have a fairly busy weekend, but probably not much prep.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 02:57:15 AM »
No problem, I'll be in Wellington for a month or so afterwards and again later in the year, so lots of opportunity for re-runs.

Hooray for Mountain Witch!