Repeat Moves

• 5 Replies
Repeat Moves
« on: July 22, 2010, 02:12:57 PM »
Could be I'm crazy.  Could be I'm remembering something from playtest that didn't make it to final version.  Could be I just can't remember where I saw it.  Anyways,

I seem to remember that you can't make the same move twice.  Like if you Read a Sitch and miss, then you missed that's done.  Wait for the next Sitch to Read.

We ended up discussing this after last session and I can't remember where I'm getting this from.  My players made a good point, that I should try to change things with my moves such that the same move wouldn't happen twice.  If they try to seize something and miss, then my move should make it unseizable, so we progress to the next thing.  Then one player was like, what if I fail to manipulate, suck up the concequences, and then want to keep trying?  I wasn't sure that was a good idea, and definitely thought Vincent recommended against it, but now I can't find that reference.

Anyways, can you try the same move more than once?

Should the MC try to change the fiction when you fail, but if it makes sense allow another try?

I usually don't make much of a move when they Read a Sitch (although I invent stuff into the fiction, it's more of a revealing I guess).  Can they just do it again if they want more questions? 

If not, what's a new Sitch?  I'm pretty sure I was too limiting on that last time, but I'm curious what others think.  (PC trapped in a burning building is a sitch, if they jump out and are outside now is that a new sitch?  If you and I are arguing, that could be a sitch, if you draw a gun is it a new sitch?)

Is there some place where this is all covered that I read in the past but can't find now?

lumpley

Re: Repeat Moves
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:38:17 PM »
I say "no repeat moves" a couple of times in the text, but I don't go much into it.

It's a new charged situation when what-makes-it-charged is new. You, as MC, have inside knowledge about that, so only you can judge. If what makes it a charged situation is "Dremmer hates you and wants you dead," then no, it's not a new charged situation when Dremmer draws his gun.

You're under absolutely no obligation to change the situation with your moves, although of course you should when that's what you'd like to do.

-Vincent

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:01:47 PM »
Thanks Vincent!  That answers my question, and I agree with it.  We'll see if my players come along and ask "why?", but for me, at least, it makes sense.  :)

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 05:20:08 AM »
I'm curious, Vincent, what's your motivation for forbidding repeat moves? Is there a particular situation that rule was created to solve?

Chris

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:07:02 AM »
Yeah, the only move I'd allow repeats of is healing touch, and that's just because they'll fail it eventually trying to get the person all the way healed and that makes it interesting.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »
If you do it, you do it always applies. Don't fret about "repeat moves." Follow the fiction.