Playbooks as initial situation generators

• 6 Replies
Playbooks as initial situation generators
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:26:05 PM »
Reading a couple of AP threads, it seems like there are a couple of playbooks that serve as an initial 'kick-off' of situation.

In the game I'm running, I'd say the Hardholder strongly performs in that role - Inserting a person who has a lot of responsibilities, probably has a good share of problems, but also has a lot of barter to throw at people to make problems smaller. In addition, they're set to make decisions that make problems for other people. In contrast, the Battlebabe, Gunlugger, Driver, Brainer and Angel don't have that sort of immediate situation creation. A lot of what the other characters have been doing is 'How do I respond to the problems/opportunities created by the Hardholders drama with their hold?

From the APs I've read, it seems like the Touchstone and Quarantine also serve that kind of role - The Touchstone inserting 'Person who wants to change everything!' and the quarantine as 'Something entirely different entering that people are likely to want to poke with a stick.'

Does this match your experiences? Differ strongly from them? Are there other playbooks that figure strongly into the game's immediate situation?

Re: Playbooks as initial situation generators
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:59:37 AM »
I would add the Hocus as a playbook with strong tendencies for "initial kick-off" in my experience.

As soon as you make your followers roll at the beginning of the session you are setting up some kind of situation that you will have to deal with.  Most directly when your followers are in want, there will certainly be repercussions.

Even when they are not directly in want, you will still have to "deal with your fucking cult" as the book puts it.

And this affects the other characters too, not just affect the Hocus character (at least in the game I'm playing)  For example, my Hocus' followers got in want last session... my Hocus returned to base to find one of her followers had set fire to the Brainer's van.  Oops.

Chroma

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 12:57:12 PM »
Does this match your experiences? Differ strongly from them? Are there other playbooks that figure strongly into the game's immediate situation?
Depending on their gigs, I'd say the Operator can generate a lot of "immediate situations", I mean, they're doing those jobs with/for someone... someone who is gonna be pissed if things go south... *laugh*
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »
Actually, in the campaign where I'm playing an angel, the problems the MC decided to give me ended up playing a strong role in shaping the campaign. The first-session loveletter I got was about why business was so good for me, and I ended up picking a terrible disease stemming from a ubiquitous mould caused by the setting's unceasing rain. That disease has gone on to be a serious plot point, including a cult that worships the mould and the rain that causes it.

So I suppose the angel may not be as automatic in the situation that it generates, but if the MC is thinkin', well.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:33:34 PM »
Actually, in the campaign where I'm playing an angel, the problems the MC decided to give me ended up playing a strong role in shaping the campaign. The first-session loveletter I got was about why business was so good for me, and I ended up picking a terrible disease stemming from a ubiquitous mould caused by the setting's unceasing rain. That disease has gone on to be a serious plot point, including a cult that worships the mould and the rain that causes it.

So I suppose the angel may not be as automatic in the situation that it generates, but if the MC is thinkin', well.

The first-session love-letters sound totally sweet! Can you post a copy of yours, or other peoples?

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:53:57 AM »
Oh, it was pretty simple, really, but... all right, my MC is awesome.

I am so, so sorry. I know you became an angel in order to help people, but really... a doctor is one of those jobs that you *never* want business to be good. And right now, business is a booming. So, what has been the most prevalent ailment that people have required your services in order to treat?
o Disease has broken out amongst several, hampering thier health.
o Knife or gunshot wounds from some infighting and disagreements over divided interests.
o Malnutrition and dehydration because of difficulty getting good food and water.
o Drug overdose and withdrawels. Someone is creating a lot of victims, and the people are indulging.
o Infections from animal attacks, parasites, or some other creature that is preying on the people.
I know you care, even if you pretend otherwise. Help them! I'll be here the whole time, rooting for your success!
Hugs and kisses, The MC

I just picked the disease, and it turned out to be greenlips, a disease caused by mould in the lungs that stretches all the way up to your mouth (hence the green lips), and generally results in death. It can be treated, delaying the inevitable for several years to maybe a decade, but not cured (yet). I began my first session ripping the hardholder's son a new one for making out with a girl who had it and coming in with a case of his own.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »

Something similar happened with the Angel of my group but she did not even need a loveletter from me. I just told my players up front that the world is going to be what we would make of it and their ideas were exactly as good as mine.
So what my Angel did for the 1st session was basically nothing but: "So they bring in this guy with the huge axe wound. He's one of the stone-cutters, y'know?" But I guess that is bound to the player's actions and not the playbook's possibilities.

From what I've seen so far a Savvyhead with the Reality's fraying edge Move is a brilliant story-creation-device.
a friend in need is a friend indeed