The nameless

• 4 Replies
The nameless
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:53:07 AM »
No one in Fallen London has names.

You don't, certainly. And then there's the Rubbery Men, the Contessa, the Melancholy Curate, the Starveling Cat. The only person with a name is Madame Shoshanna.

How do names work in Knife and Candle? Do you forgo the namelessness of the browser game and have a list of descriptive nouns and adjectives?

RichD

Re: The nameless
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »
There are a few others that are named and it really makes them stand out from the pack and makes you wonder why they have that distinction.

I rather like the idea of 'names' cobbled together from lists of adjective and nouns.  Moreover, I like the idea of those titles shifting as the game goes on.  It might be a little confusing at the table though. 

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »
Add to that the fact that the most sinister figures in the game are the only ones with 'normal' sounding names - the masters of the bazaar (Mr. Wine, Mr. Iron, whatever)

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »
Names are so important!

I really like the idea that characters don't have proper names by default. Maybe getting a name is the ungiven future?

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 03:01:25 PM »
Ooooh, I like that a lot. Maybe your name becomes a custom quality that expands a move of your choice?