Skinner with a cult

• 2 Replies
Skinner with a cult
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:14:43 AM »
So the Skinner took control of the cult since nobody else wanted it (the player took followers and fortunes). Good thing too, they'd have started lynching people soon. The thing is, the player would like a move for her handling of her cult, and frenzy isn't quite it.

First, the way Shade is dealing with her cult is obviously far more by being hot than weird. She's pretty much controlling the cult with her charisma and social grace, by lying and telling stories and manipulating people's beliefs and distracting them with prettyness when nothing else works. Second - mechanically - the options to choose from in Frenzy don't fit with how Shade handles and wants to handle the cult.

I'm a bit torn. The options I'm considering:

1) Make up a hot-based move that's more or less the love-child of Frenzy and Artful and Gracious. Shade's player really wants her singing to play into the handling of her cult and a nice lotus-eater-hot-based move could be fun.

2) Decide that the fun comes from not having the tools to do what you want, but instead having to do what you can with the given tools. Shade has excellent tools for manipulating individual people (Hypnotic and Artful) in the way she wants, so she'll just have to keep the cult in check by constantly keeping key members on her side. Or she could take frenzy, but with her low weird - heh, heh, heh...

What's happened when other skinners took followers and fortunes?

lumpley

Re: Skinner with a cult
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:48:30 AM »
When the skinner in our game took followers, she didn't feel the need for a move to control them, so I'm no help there, but...

She's pretty much controlling the cult with her charisma and social grace, by lying and telling stories and manipulating people's beliefs and distracting them with prettyness when nothing else works.

That seems like straight up seduce-or-manipulate to me. That move works perfectly well on groups of people, not just individuals, and it'll have her followers doing exactly what she wants most of the time. All she'll have to do is promise them things in return. Concerts, maybe?

But a custom move is a good idea too. When you perform for your fans and followers, roll+hot...

Re: Skinner with a cult
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »
Our skinner is just a giant flirt and eventually made a cult out of all her suitors. She just seduce people she need to control but mostly the cult keeps itself in check by being jealous at each other and outsiders. If she -really- need to control someone she fucks them (as she lacks the normal hypnotic).