Bard's starting moves

• 3 Replies
Bard's starting moves
« on: June 07, 2011, 01:50:45 PM »
When you make a bard character, you have a choice between some different moves but can't take them all ("Choose three of these moves to start with").  The advanced moves section says, "When you gain a level from 2-10, choose from these moves."  Does that mean that once I choose my 3 starting moves, I can never get the unselected moves because on levels 2-10 I must pick from the advanced move list?

Re: Bard's starting moves
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:54:34 PM »
thats the way its written, yup

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 02:08:50 PM »
I feel like Fascinate and Port in a Storm will be useful at later levels (considering play starts at the beginning of a dungeon) and, while I like those moves, I feel like Arcane Music and Bardic lore are must-have moves right off the bat.  Charming and Open, on the other hand, seems underpowered, perhaps it might be switched with Kindly.  That would make purchasing gifts at character generation more interesting.  Also, with Charming and Open, when it says "ask their player a question," at first I thought that the move could only work on PCs because elsewhere player means non-GM, it seems like that could be clearer.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »
If that's an intentional design choice, so be it, but I've got to tell you that making that choice kind of hurts.