Wizard's Bonds

• 3 Replies
Wizard's Bonds
« on: June 07, 2011, 12:15:08 PM »
So, we're running a PbP Dungeon World game over at Snail's Pace and prepping for the first dungeon. I'm playing the Wizard and we've had some discussion about it, turning over some of the aspects and trying to hone things. As-written, I wasn't too excited about the Wizard's bonds so I offered up some slightly different versions.

The main problem we had was that the Wizard's bonds seemed to cast the other PCs in a certain light that made them feel uncomfortable (like one of them hating my character...) and the wording of the other two.

They suggested I submit them. So, I'm just going to copy the post I made over there and try and get some feedback, see if others had problems with the Wizard's bonds and if they've changed them or made up new ones.

Quote from: From Snail's Pace
Here's the bonds I want and my explanations for the changes:

________ distrusts me and fears my tampering with the laws of the cosmos (gods).

I think distrust and fear of my tampering is cooler than whether or not someone has "morals" or whatever. I mean, I could have been a "Good" wizard that vanquishes evil... So, how is morality holding me back? No, someone who fears my antics... Now that's something to look into.

________ took part in one of my rituals (willingly or un-). It didn't end pleasantly.

I'd rather the player decide whether they hate me or not based on whether we go with willingly or unwillingly and figure out what went wrong together.

The laughing one is alright, but kind of silly. So, I'm resentful they don't take me serious? How about:

________ doesn't take my power seriously. One day they will. One day.

So, maybe they laugh or not? I don't know. It has the same effect but lets the player decide how they portray their not taking my magic seriously.

Thoughts? Comments?

Guvna

Re: Wizard's Bonds
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:59:18 PM »
I like.  Giving people the choice as to how their character reacts to the event makes sence to me.
"May the Gods always stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

sage

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:50:20 AM »
Michael, that's something that Adam and I had noticed too. The wizard was kind of typecast. We have some changes on that, I think you'll like them.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
Michael, that's something that Adam and I had noticed too. The wizard was kind of typecast. We have some changes on that, I think you'll like them.

I liked that the bonds gave the Wizard a certain hew, but I think they went a bit too far. Can't wait to see what you guys are cooking up!