Alternative XP systems?

• 4 Replies

Ariel

Alternative XP systems?
« on: May 10, 2011, 02:14:08 AM »
I think the AW XP rules are kinda weak and don't really work for my players. They're not really the sort to either remember to mark XP when they use highlighted stats or chase after it by using the highlighted stats more often.

Does anyone having any have any other idea about advancement other than giving everyone an advance a session?

Re: Alternative XP systems?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:55:10 PM »
In Mike's Monster of the Week hack, characters get experience for having big emotional moments with each other (which reinforces the Buffy / Supernatural genre of the game).

How do characters get more potent in the genre that Bulwark's based on?

Ariel

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:48:37 PM »
I don't think that the characters really become more powerful in the adventurer kind of way. Or even in the supernatural tv serial kind of way.

Also, I don't have a particular genre. More of a feel and smattering of texts as sources.

The stories I think of challenge and reveal various ideas, emotional state and shake up the status quo. This happens in AW often and doesn't need to be a function of advancement.

Maybe there's not XP per se. There's a bit in AW where Vx talks about sometimes the characters spend advances and other times they get an advance by working for it in the fiction. Hmm. That could work.

Ariel

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:16:54 AM »

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »
Thanks amigo. Now I got to think again. Damn.