Cool Game!

• 6 Replies
Cool Game!
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:17:04 PM »
Hi, I just preordered AW and had a look through the pdf and I have to say it really pushed the right buttons for me.

I wont get an in depth look until my copy arrives in the mail, as I find pdfs hard to read and use them for overviews and reference purposes.

But the the inclusion of the psychic maelstrom is the icing on the cake.
I love post apocalyptic settings where the survivors have a weird ability or two, but dont have to be built around those abilities. The flavour of the Moves just screams, use me.

It is nice to know that I can pick up a hands on not so psychic playbook like the Chopper and still be able to open the character's mind to the psychic maelstrom when necessary. Kudos to the designer.

Well, I only ordered a couple of days ago so I have a bit of a wait ahead of me.

Re: Cool Game!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 12:46:36 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

The maelstrom is great, isn't it? Go directly to page 188. If you're anything like me, you'll get goosebumps.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:18:18 AM »
Thanks JH.
Pg 188 is pretty cool, the maelstrom is such an interesting setting element for a post apocalyptic game, it reminds me of Tribe 8's river of dream.

I cut my teeth on Rifts back in the day before moving on to the World of Darkness games, so it is no mystery why I am digging this game

These days I mostly ignore the clunkier generic systems in their massive 400+ hard-covers, they tend to hurt my back when I try to read them.
What I am loving is the digest sized soft-cover indie games with their emphasis on story, minimal prep time and easy to learn rules.

Is there a pbp set up for AW somewhere on these forums

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:04:15 AM »
These days I mostly ignore the clunkier generic systems in their massive 400+ hard-covers, they tend to hurt my back when I try to read them.
What I am loving is the digest sized soft-cover indie games with their emphasis on story, minimal prep time and easy to learn rules.

If you're anything like me you're in for a treat then. Add character-sueded sandbox generation and AW is pretty spot on. Wait 'til you play it.

noofy

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »
Hey Mr. Nay,
Welcome :)
Are you planning on running or playing the game? Both are just as fun as each other by the way, but if you are planning on MCing, take the time to follow the principles as advised by Vincent and play the Ist session as an 'exploratory' day in the life of the characters. Don't plan to much, and prep threats (not plot!) as suggested as it can be a hard habit to shake, even when playing Indie game.

Have fun! and please post your APs if you feel so inclined. We are such voyuers ;)

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:39:00 AM »
Yeah, Noofy is spot on about two very important things : the game does play like a fucking charm if the MC follows the book to the letter, garanteed - I mean, the players are insta-sucked in and your game just writes itself - and we are a band of voyeurs.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:02 AM »
Well I was kind of fishing for a game to play in, so I can get a feel for the game in action.

But I have read the same advice from a lot of different sources on the net.
They all said something similar to you.
"Play the game as the book describes and you will get the most out of it."
If everyone is jumping off a cliff, I figure there must be some merit to it and go look over the edge. 

I am really syked to make a character for the game, but I want to sit down and chew through the book a couple of times (when it gets here) before I think of MCing a game.