[Rules] Changing playbooks and the ungiven future

• 2 Replies

Chroma

[Rules] Changing playbooks and the ungiven future
« on: April 28, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »
Hey all!

Recently had our Savvyhead change to a Hoarder on their 6th improvement and it raised a question about whether they still had access to ungiven future advances or whether they'd have to do get another five improvements as the new character type before they opened up again or were they always available once one gets to their initial 6th advancement.

I'm partial to having the PC need to gain the five improvements as the new character, settling in to their new role/outlook/life, but I'd like to hear other thoughts and could be easily swayed.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

Re: [Rules] Changing playbooks and the ungiven future
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »

I think they still have access -- but I'd be surprised if they used any of them for the next few advances, seeing as the player will probably be more interested in picking up cool new Hoarder moves?

lumpley

Re: [Rules] Changing playbooks and the ungiven future
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »
Is the privilege to choose ungiven future advances part of the character's old life, thus left behind, or part of the character's integral self, thus brought along? It's up to you and the player to work that out.

I certainly wouldn't want to rule bindingly on it as the designer, because there will always be special cases.

My default as MC is, sure, bring it along, but that's just me.