BASIC STAT + MOVES: HEAVY

• 5 Replies

Ariel

BASIC STAT + MOVES: HEAVY
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:38:47 PM »
[Heavy]

When you risk agony, setbacks or peril, roll heavy.

On a 13+, miraculous you transcends the possible.

On a 10-12, fortune favours for now.

On a 7–9, you're bribing fate with blood; it's an ugly exchange.

When you commit to violence, +fray.

On a 13+, it's done and hold one; spend hold for:

+1forward, +ap +damage +armor

On a 10-12, it's done.

On a 7–9, they can choose to:

Evac from the wrath of terrible you.
      Make with the wealth and lips.
      Be at your feet, at your mercy, please.
      Catch you out, trading fire for fire.
      Have you cause collateral.

When you hold fast against traumas or terrible happenings, +hull.

On a 13+,  ignore it; it's beneath you.

On a 10-12, you hold and push through.

On a 7-9, you stunned, setback or put in a spot.

Still, needs to be cleaned up a bit - but so far there it is.

Suggestions always welcome.

Re: BASIC STAT + MOVES: HEAVY
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 03:37:00 AM »
Ah, yeah, I had something for the violence list. I kinda feel that the "wealth and lips" and the "at your mercy" ones, because, in the fiction, you can still refuse them. If buddy isn't going to get out of your gun's way, these two can really be the same as "take harm." Maybe if the condition is that the victim offers up info that really would make you pause, then you pause.

This wording could be better:

On a 10+, they comply with your demands or take harm.
On a 7-9, they choose between harm and any on the list except one you choose.
The list:
comply
evac
trade
collateral
offer info to make you pause

Comply can be or include anything else on the list, or taking harm.

Trade = trade harm for harm.
Collateral = something else takes harm/gets damaged.
(but these could be compressed into one, depending on how important the pick one to exclude rule is -- that's where it makes a difference, otherwise, not)
(so "Trade" could also = you or someone or something else is harmed or damaged)

Offer info to make you pause = exactly that. It should be a big reveal and shit. "I am your father ... Search your heart, you know it to be true." Or like he says he knows where the macguffin is. If the attacker would say "I still shoot him," then it's really just choosing to take the harm.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:32:07 PM »
Oh, I meant to say those two options are weak because you an refuse them.

Ariel

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 06:41:08 PM »
I assume that the threatening of violence has already happened - so if they were going to comply, they would have done so already. As such, it assumes your hands already been forced.

You're right that the bribe and the mercy are weak options. If they were gonna come up they should have already have by that point in the fiction.  Info to give pause works tho. I think adding "I've changed my mind" aka comply to the list works too.

If they wanna make the move again immediately afterwards, that would be fine. The PC hesitates the first time, hears them out, then tries to kill them again. Obviously, you could get two partials in a row but I tend they just pick something else off the list. Like the moments distraction lets them escape or pull their gun.

However, I'd like to keep 10-12 and the 13+ rolls, "you deal harm." Just so that when the PCs are like 'I shoot him', on 10+ they shoot him. Even if the PCs would rather the NPC complies. The NPC only gets a second chance to comply on a 7-9.

And yeah, the NPCs can always just take the harm regardless of the outcome of the roll. I mean, sometimes you don't need to roll. They pull the trigger, it works.

I'm not super worried about the specific wordings. It's easier for me if the wording coveys the tone at the expense of clarity. I don't

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:16:12 PM »
I was thinking of stuff like "I throw some covering fire down on these mopes so they keep their heads down." On a 7-9, the mopes can change position (evac) or shoot back (trade). On a 10+, they can keep their fucking heads down and not move or they can take the harm. And then on the exceptional hit, you can add to your threat.

That way it's flexible and stays true to the back-and-forth nature of AW.

If the player says they just want to shoot a guy, then there's really no choice, since complying and taking harm is the same.

Ariel

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »
Ah, bingo.

You're right.