Treasure

• 16 Replies

agony

Treasure
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:37:53 AM »
How is everyone handling treasure?  What's a good amount of GPs for the group to acquire after defeating a dungeon (I would imagine this would change by level)?

It seems as though after the first dungeon the group will likely be rich (as everything is very low cost) and everyone will be decked out in heavy armor.  The only item which actually eats a lot of coin is the Reverie which is recommended to be 100gp per level.

Also, how often does your group acquire a magic item?  Like every dungeon?  Every other dungeon?  Are most of the items permanent effects or are they one-time use items (like a scroll of some spell)?

Thanks.

Re: Treasure
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »
I second this question.

I've taken to offering 1/10 of what old-school modules offer.  That still leaves the PCs pretty much able to afford anything they want, but then again, they would be ridiculously wealthy after the adventure in original D&D as well.

Magical items are trickier.  I'm playing with using old-school treasure charts to see how that works out.  I think magic items were either limited use, rare or just less powerful before.  Players might be spoiled now.  I don't know.

That's all the advice (such as it is) that I've got, but I haven't been playing long.

sage

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:26:24 PM »
Nice timing, Adam and I were just talking about treasure, equipment, and all that.

First of all, there are some obvious useful items we haven't included yet, scroll being an obvious one. Those will get added, which will give some higher cost options for all that gold.

Your conversion from original D&D modules sounds about right, and we'll eventually put together some guidelines. We don't want to be too prescriptive, but I also have the same problem - with this made up currency, is 100 gold really a good reward? We'll probably structure this like the Barter charts, "1 Gold is the going rate for..."

I'd suggest dangling one or two magic items per adventure as rewards, and then adding others as you see fit. If you're designing a dungeon, add an item or two that they may not get to, or have to do extra work for ("offer an opportunity, with cost"). Whenever possible, make magic items interesting - there are already a few examples, but we're working on better ones. A magic item should almost always have a move associated with it, flat bonuses are a little boring.

It's important to note that magic items aren't explicitly needed, like in some editions of D&D, but they are fun. Give them strange esoteric moves, give them sentience, just don't give them away because you feel you have to.

Might as well also offer a preview of what we're thinking for "encumbrance." (Quotes because saying that word brings to mind horrible charts and bad rules, but we want to make it awesome.)

There should be some suggestion of how much the players can carry, in particular since that plays into carrying ammo for the purposes of moves that may deplete it. We could just say "whatever makes sense," but I honestly have no idea what makes sense for a fantasy warrior to be able to carry while fighting.

So we're thinking each class will have Slots (bad name, I know, we'll come up with a better one) and items will have Weight. Weight defaults to 1, so if an item doesn't specify a Weight it's 1. Light things are 0, heavy things are 2, unwieldy things are 3, and so on. A dagger or wand is Weight 0, a short sword is Weight 1, long sword or axe is two, some huge hammer is 3.

A character can carry total weight up to their Slots (+Str?) no problem.

When you make a move with too much weight (over your Slots, under Slots + 2), you're hindered, you take a -1.

When you make a move with way too much weight (Slots + 2 or over) you have a choice: drop an item and make the move at -1, or automatically fail as if you had rolled a 6-.

The Wizard has 3 or 4 Slots, the Fighter and Paladin have 7 or 8, everyone else is somewhere in the middle.

You can't get too carried away with Weight 0 items. GM's call, but in general more than your Strength score (not mod) in Weight 0 items counts as Weight 1.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:24:17 PM »
Before play each session, remind the other players who your character is and list off the stuff that you're carrying.  For each person who snickers, guffaws, rolls their eyes or similar, the GM/MC holds one against you.  She may spend the hold one for one, whenever she likes, to make a move against you that reminds you of your burden.

:)

noofy

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:03:21 AM »
Chris, thumbs up! The caveat behing that the hold used against you is to definately 'take away your stuff'!

Sage, I really, really like the slots idea, and will be using it forthwith. Up until now I had ignored encumberance (as I do with most games) Unless of course its ridiculous.

I am still using my hack of the original AW barter to 'Treasure', which works fine for our gang, and makes live easier. Sometimes the players want to place a descriptor on the 'Treasure' and I let them. For Instance, Tonks found a hoard in Phoniex mountain worth 5 Treasure. Wow! Said Tonks, what's in it? (rubbing his hands gleefully). Well, its the accumulated dregs of the Lich once wizard who ruled the citadel, items of all shapes and sizes are stored higglety piggley on groaning shelves in musty chests and cobwebby nooks and crannies. What do you find?

He came up with some cool magical paraphenalia that he wanted and later found out was cursed! All tied carefully back into the plot. Plus the obvious bag of gold that he got the cleric retainer to carry (who subsequently ran off with it!).

sage

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:00:48 PM »
I love the hireling running off with the loot!

I'm working on a list of common services and such, kind of like AW's "1 Barter is the going rate for..." lists. It's definitely something we need, but it's harder to write then it looks.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:15:38 PM »
I've been pondering a move for liquidating assets.  My players picked up a few gold pieces' worth of odds and ends that they'll probably want to sell.  Something like: roll+Cha.  On a +10, you get full market value for your goods.  On a 7-9, choose 1:

- You only get half their value.
- The sale attracts undesirable attention (original owners, thieves, etc.)
- You have to journey to the right market for your wares.

I chose Cha to reflect the social acts of haggling and finding markets.  The +1 forwards from Spout Lore and Discern Realities could be used on the roll if the pertinent questions were asked.

sage

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 10:21:34 PM »
I really like that Joe. Would you mind if it ended up in the text somewhere (with attribution, of course)? Either as an "official" move, or in the making your own moves chapter, I'm not sure yet.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 10:44:36 PM »
Feel free!

noofy

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 02:30:38 AM »
Yeah, awesome Joe!
What about on the 7-9 you get to negate two of the conditions (the other one takes effect) and on a miss, all three take effect?

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:52:14 AM »
I wouldn't want to crimp their success on a 10+.  Also, while it's cool that DW has more interesting texture than roll to hit/roll damage/roll to hit/roll damage, coming up with entertaining twists for all those failed or partially successful rolls can be hard enough.  I'd rather just give them what they earned on the 10+'s.  

"What do we find?"

"A bunch of gold."

"No tapestries?  No statues?  No gems?"  Player reaches for dice to make fencing roll.  Tired GM's eyes bulge."No!  Just gold in a chest!"

"Oooo, is it a nice chest?"

"Arrrgh!"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:42:26 PM by Joe Beason »

noofy

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »
Yeah Koe, exactly what you suggested! :)
I was just suggesting that on a miss, all three of the negatives from the near miss (7-9) take effect, rather than the DM's hard move. That way, even on a failed roll the player gets some gold (at a reduced rate), albeit they have to travel to some obscure market and the local nefarious types get involved.
Awesome.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »
Ah, sorry, misunderstood.  I think on a miss, the tapestry tries to eat them.

sage

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
I like moves that suggest what happens on a 6-, but don't state it. Stating it limits the GM's creativity. Implying it spurs creativity. Which I think is pretty much what everyone is saying.

noofy

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 09:22:09 PM »
Bumping this thread since I think it is relevant to the beta.
Load / weight / gold are all awesome!

But no Loot move anymore, and no When you visit the town's bustling marketplace move?

I also have been using Mike Shea's excellent treasure tables as inspiration when stuck (The players ask about treasure or loot some magical phylactery)
http://slyflourish.com/random_loot_tables.pdf