Spout Lore - Monster Info?

• 3 Replies
Spout Lore - Monster Info?
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:49:12 AM »
I found, during my session, that I wanted to feed the players more information about an Ogre Mage they were going to face.  They'd Spouted Lore and asked

"What Type Of Monster Is It" - "An Ogre Mage - a powerful spellcaster, unlike the rest of its ogrish kin."

But what I really wanted to do was feed them a little more information about what it could do.  Like, maybe we should think about adding something like "What special powers does it possess?" or the like?  Or is it reasonable for me to add "Who can throw magical blasts of cold from its fingertips and can disappear, magically." to the answer? 

Re: Spout Lore - Monster Info?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »
I'd add stuff like:

What's dangerous about it?
What's its vulnerability?

And, whatnot.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »
Yeah, I like this! In our games at GPNW, we definitely felt the need for this. I'd say go ahead and add some questions to your list, like:

- How is it most vulnerable to me?
- How am I most vulnerable to it?

I'd love to hear how those work.

Also, I think you can use Discern Realities and ask what to be on the lookout for.

Maybe Charismas should be useful for learning about monsters too, like if you interact with it, you can find out what it's afraid of, or what it's going to do next. I'm not sure how you interact with an ooze, but it would give an incentive to interact with the monsters before you kill them. :)

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:43:52 PM »
I love the idea of folding in a "How is it most vulnerable to me" option.  Same with a "How am I most vulnerable to it"

ESPECIALLY if they have to pick one or the other.