Making a new game?

• 9 Replies
Making a new game?
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:46:12 AM »
Hi!

So, I'm new here, but I've just finished making my own pbta game that's based on space western media. It draws really heavily from Monster of the Week since I don't actually own Apocalypse World (yet). I'm mostly wondering, how do I get this published? Any advice? Also, I'd love to talk to the Apocalypse World devs and MotW devs about like, copyright and stuff.

I'm very small and have no idea what I'm doing, but I've made a game I'm really excited about, and once I finish play testing it, I want to send it out into the world! :D

Anyway. Thanks, no clue what I'm doing but I'm trying. The game's working title is Stardust Blues. I'm very proud of that one.
-Jaz/Kat

Munin

Re: Making a new game?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 01:01:06 PM »
Congrats! Have you play-tested it outside your group yet? That's a really good way to figure out where your unspoken (unwritten) assumptions about the mechanics are hiding.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 03:39:31 PM »
I will soon! I literally JUST made this so I'm not planning on getting this out there anytime TOO soon, but I just wanted to start thinking about more official development stuff early on. Especially since this is the first time I've ever done anything remotely like this. I'm hoping to play test it with my friend group and a few other groups of people I don't know as well but do know tabletop games pretty well, and maybe even a group that doesn't know tabletop games very well at all. Wide range, you know?

Thanks!
-Jaz/Kat

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 10:23:21 AM »
I'm here, I'm happy to talk about copyright and stuff, or publishing, or anything! What can I do for you?

-Vincent

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 09:12:21 AM »
Hi!

Sorry for the last reply, I've been busy with school and coronavirus. I'm totally new to this, so I'm not sure if I'm even asking the right questions.

My game is mostly based on Monster of the Week, and I've written most everything myself except for some of the basic moves. Basically, I want to know if I need a license or not, since I'm self-publishing. I'd love to call my game a PbtA game though. I can email you a few PDFs if you want to check it out and gauge how much I'm using is yours for yourself.

Again, sorry for the lateness! The world has gone crazy.
-Jaz/Kat

lumpley

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 11:12:01 AM »
No sweat!

If you're including verbatim text from Monster of the Week, you need the copyright holder's permission. The best thing to do is to contact Michael Sands directly. Tell him the text you want to include and ask him for permission. He'll tell you how to proceed.

You need a license to publish someone else's game, like if you wanted to publish an edition of Apocalypse World, or to publish a game derived from someone else's characters and world, like if you wanted to publish a literal Star Wars game. You don't need a license to publish your own game about your own characters and world.

You can definitely call your game PbtA. If you want to use the little PbtA logo, I'll send it to you. I like to reserve it for finished games, so let me know. If you're doing your book design / PDF design for publication and you're ready to put the logo in place, email me, I'll set you up.

Stardust Blues is a good title!

-Vincent

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 11:20:21 AM »
I'm not quite finished yet, but I'm getting there. Thanks so much, I'll definitely shoot you an email when I'm ready!
-Jaz/Kat

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 01:21:46 PM »
I'm not quite finished yet, but I'm getting there. Thanks so much, I'll definitely shoot you an email when I'm ready!

Looking forward to seeing it. Let me know if you need a playtester

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 03:26:50 PM »
This sounds awesome. I am on a similar journey and I'd be happy to hear the answers and also more about your game. How's it coming along?

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 11:40:03 PM »
Hi!

So, I'm new here, but I've just finished making my own pbta game that's based on space western media. It draws really heavily from Monster of the Week since I don't actually own Apocalypse World (yet). I'm mostly wondering, how do I get this published? Any advice? Also, I'd love to talk to the Apocalypse World devs and MotW devs about like, copyright and stuff.

I'm very small and have no idea what I'm doing, but I've made a game I'm really excited about, and once I finish play testing it, I want to send it out into the world! :D

Anyway. Thanks, no clue what I'm doing but I'm trying. The game's working title is Stardust Blues. I'm very proud of that one.
Actually I am also new here and I also design the games and I want to convert my talent into money so can you please help me with that. I have many skills but no money.