The Chosen - Magical Animal Sidekick Homebrew tweak

• 0 Replies
The Chosen - Magical Animal Sidekick Homebrew tweak
« on: March 26, 2020, 12:29:54 AM »
Hey, all, just thought I'd share a fun homebrew tweak idea I had for The Chosen. Destiny's Plaything as written is perfectly fine but I changed it to a "talking" magical animal who spews prophecies.

Still works the same - they get a prophecy at the start of the game - but the talking animal speaks it aloud instead of it being a dream or vision. If you want to limit the animal's usefulness, as I have, you can make it so that this is the only time it is able/allowed to talk per game. I also insisted that it not be a traditional pet, so as to add to the weirdness factor, and that it will always attempt to follow The Chosen wherever The Chosen goes.

If you want to take it one step further, you can also add a +1 Weird ("This is my emotional support ???" - it's friggin' weird that they have this animal with them and/or it can be sensitive to magic) and a -1 Sharp ("Dammit, Fluffy!" - having to take care of a weird animal while fighting monsters/talking to normal people is not ideal) whenever The Chosen has the animal with them. To prevent them from ever losing the "Destiny's Plaything" ability, you can also give the animal immortality or some form of limited invulnerability, or if they like to live dangerously, it can die as horribly and easily as anything else in the game.

This has delighted my Chosen player as she's going very Sailor Moon with it - her character is now constantly accompanied by a bright orange squirrel she's named Pumpkin Spice Latte - but I can see this option going in a variety of fun directions.

Please let me know what you think and if any of you use this idea in your games! :)