Why Should I?

• 6 Replies
Why Should I?
« on: March 24, 2017, 03:50:21 PM »
Why should I try dungeon world over 5th edition?  Can y'all break it down for me in 2 or 3 short points?

Munin

Re: Why Should I?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:20:13 PM »
Because Dungeon World is about telling compelling stories about cool characters caught up in awesome events. 5E is about grinding out levels and amassing magic items.

In all seriousness, these games are paradigmatically different. 5E has a lot of crunch, there are rules for everything, and combat takes half of forever, especially as power levels increase. The game has a lot of minutia which can also slow down play. And it preserves the old-school progression curves where after about 7th-9th level, there's no reason NOT to play a wizard.

Dungeon World is all about the story. While it keeps (IMO) too much of the cruft of D&D to really shine like its parent (AW), it cleaves to its theme pretty well and is still a story-based game at its heart. Play will proceed quickly and the game will focus more on who the characters are rather than what the characters have.

It's also infinitely cheaper.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
I'd say that Dungeon World is simpler and sleeker, both to learn and in play. It hews to its genre and theme very closely. More cinematic.

D&D has more breadth of rules and material to explore. More formalized, more structured, covers a bigger range of situations, characters, and play situations (e.g. low level character are much more distinct from high level characters than in Dungeon World).

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:11:31 PM »
For me Dungeon World is the closest I've experienced to the "when everything was new and magical" (besides Burning Wheel).

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
My opinion, for what is worth, is this: Dungeon World feels very modern, D&D feels very seventies.

I don't know how else to explain that.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 03:50:25 PM »
Someone else once said:

"D&D is about exploration. Dungeon World is about adventure."

That says a lot, right there. (They're related but different; and I wouldn't say one is better than the other - they just serve different purposes.)

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 12:23:39 AM »
Thanks for the opinions guys!