Radio communication and Leadership

• 5 Replies
Radio communication and Leadership
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:13:06 PM »
Good afternoon!

I ran into a bit of situation last night, and wanted some thoughts on how y'all would have approached it.

Hardholder splits his gang, and rolls leadership (passes) for them to ADVANCE to this derelict Fishing Trawler that is being guarded by a gang.

The leader of the small gang radios back to the hardholder on how to proceed as the bikers aren't leaving, and things are getting tense.

Hardholder orders (over the radio) for his split gang to take the trawler

SO - I asked the Hardholder to roll Seize by Force for his split gang. Chaos ensues, but he is able to (remotely) have his gang seize the trawler, his gang taking some damage.

Did I do right by asking for a remote Seize by Force roll? What would you have done differently, if anything?

lumpley

Re: Radio communication and Leadership
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:37:25 PM »
You did right. It worked out okay?

-Vincent

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 03:51:30 PM »
It didn't work out well for Boner, who got a sucking chest wound but the trawler now belongs to the hold. It continues to be such a weird experience to have the NPCs and the my threats in the crosshairs! Very different and refreshing take from good ole 5e D&D although it continues to hurt when they die.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:09:14 PM »
Oh, you should celebrate these deaths - they are the PCs making their mark on the world!

If you're thinking that a certain NPC was a path to a certain place in play, then removing that NPC seems like a dead end.

Instead, remember that there are no status quos: each person's death is a springboard to new developments. Who is affected? Who is hurt? Who wants revenge? Who now has the opportunity to do what they wanted to all along, but couldn't? Who depended on this person, and is now helpless?

When one thing dies, another takes its place. What does that look like? That's the transformation you come to see at the table.

Ebok

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 11:12:05 PM »
This is the same reason that you want to focus on the attachments NPC's (and PCs) have to people and things around them. The more strings you tie while they're around, the easier it is to see what's effected when they're nuked / changed.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:25:34 AM »
Paul and Ebok, thanks! With the Biker gang out of commission no one will be between the Hardhold (the PCs) and the raiders from across the channel. And I guess ole Mosby (now dead) could have a certain relationship in town that could be revealed in play.