NTBFW and Going Aggro (2nd ed)....

• 5 Replies
NTBFW and Going Aggro (2nd ed)....
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:48:04 PM »
In the 2ed book, pg 191, it says NTBFW, "...also applies in battle when the gunlugger acts under fire or goes aggro."

What would be examples of "going aggro" while already in a battle?  Or does it mean the move "going aggro" in general?

Re: NTBFW and Going Aggro (2nd ed)....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
Sniper shots, even in battle, tend to be Going Aggro (or Suckering Someone, which is a subcategory of Go Aggro), so that's an in-battle example.

Really, any time you can shoot someone and they can't shoot you back, you're Going Aggro...regardless of whether they're shooting someone else at the time.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:54:15 PM »
It means Going Aggro in a battle. As for examples, take any example that would be covered by Going Aggro, and have it happen during a battle, like so:

A battle is raging, gunfire everywhere. Ampersand the Gunlugger sees Rolfball, the treacherous rat, running across the battlefield -- he's trying to get to a jeep somebody abandoned during the fighting! Ampersand's player is like "fuck no, Rolfball, you are not getting away that easy -- I fire a warning shot from my AK right in front of his nose and shout out 'Get the fuck back inside, Rolfball -- I'll deal with you later!'"

or another battle is raging, explosions and bullets flying everywhere. Klaxon bursts in through the doors of the previously secure bunker where the enemy hardholder's mostly-not-that-armed civilians are cowering. Though some of the civvies are armed they clearly weren't expecting this, and they definitely aren't going to fight back, at least not right in the moment. Brandishing her flamethrower she shouts 'put your hands where I can fuckin' see 'em!'

I mean, anything can happen as part of a battle, generally speaking, and so NTBFW means that if the PC ends up Going Aggro in such a context, they're gonna do extra harm at the very least. Arguably, as in the second example, you might decide that NTBFW allows them to Go Aggro on a larger group of people than might otherwise be reasonable.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:43:45 AM »
I agree with the posts so far. 'Going aggro' in the context of a battle often just means that you have got the drop on someone and they're not quite prepared, able, or willing to fight back full-on.

What's the mention of "acting under fire" all about, though?

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 02:28:51 AM »
What's the mention of "acting under fire" all about, though?

Presumably, if you take 'Harm as established' in battle due to a failed 'act under fire' roll (or a 7-9 that results in that) you'd still get the reduced Harm from your Small Gang Size from NTBFW if you're acting under fire in battle.

That's the only use I see for that, but a very real one.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
Ah! Of course.