Dual Wielding custom rules?

• 5 Replies
Dual Wielding custom rules?
« on: November 01, 2016, 02:09:38 AM »
Are there any custom rules you use if a PC chooses to wield, for example, a handgun(2 harm) in each hand? Should we just use the one weapons base harm and not fret about it?

I was thinking could it be a custom move each time they use the guns:
When using gun akimbo style roll+cool(hard maybe?).
On a 10+, you do +1 harm. Add area tag to the guns for this use.
On 7-9 you do +1 harm.
On a miss, you spray-and-pray, doing -1(maybe-2) harm.

Please let me know your thoughts on dual wielding and the custom move.

Ebok

Re: Dual Wielding custom rules?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 02:19:52 AM »
This is a residual effect from other games. You don't zoom that to this micromanagement level. Just the same as we don't count bullets, we don't count the numbers of guns they decide to shoot off in any one roll. Doesn't matter if it was a 100 rounds holdings off those baddies or 200. Deciding to fire with two guns isn't any more effective them firing with one. It's just cooler for some people. Just like you don't do round by round combat, you do action by action combat, which could very well cover hours of fighting in two rolls, or seconds, depending on the stakes and the scale.

To sum up, No. This custom move lacks any stakes, any doesn't provide anything the game doesn't already do. This is a bad idea.

If someone is firing two pistols like some action hero... wait they are an action hero. The answer is okay, cool! On a hit, describe them shooting people with both guns.

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 02:23:08 AM »

Yeah, what Ebok said. At most I would consider making it a weapon type: 'twin handguns (3 harm, flashy, multi-target)'. I would probably only do this if it was the Battlebabe player wanting this for their fancy/signature weapon choice or something, though, and it would be a specific set of guns, not any two handguns.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 03:55:35 AM »
Yeah, the Batlebabe in my game wanted to use twin automatic pistols as one of his custom weapons. I just had him use the shotgun stats from the playbook (plus automatic and ap as his two choices). If he was ever without one of the two guns, I'd maybe drop his Harm by 1. Or maybe not.

It's worked fine so far.

For non-Battlebabes, if they really want to dual-wield, I'd say it gives +1 Harm...but only to a maximum of 3 Harm (so dual wielding Magnums is pointless). That won't break anything or get complicated, and certainly isn't worth a Move. It's just a new weapon choice, and not a very special one at that.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
Alright, thanks guys. I had the same idea about not going into such details. The players came from a D&D background, so they assume there should be some rule.

Munin

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 05:01:48 PM »
Yeah, well, D&D players are going to have a lot of faulty assumptions when it comes to AW...