New to RPG's

• 2 Replies
New to RPG's
« on: October 09, 2016, 08:43:21 PM »
Apocalypse world 2nd ED will be my first RPG, I was wondering what books I would need in order to play?
DM Guide, Player Handbooks, Class Guides, ETC.
Or is it all in one Core book.

Re: New to RPG's
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 05:16:24 AM »
Everything you need is in the core book, but it's worth printing off the playbooks and references, found here for free: http://apocalypse-world.com/ApocalypseWorldBasicRefbook2ndEd.pdf
The only other things you need are at least two 6-sided dice (preferably a pair for each player but two will do), a pencil and an eraser.

The playbooks are character sheets, and tell the players all they need to know to play the game. The MC (the one who runs the game) needs to be familiar with the core book but the other players are fine without. The references are sheets with  commonly used rules so you don't have to keep looking them up in the core book. Browsing this website once you've read the book is a good idea, a lot of people point out ways to fix common problems, and the author of the book is very active on the forums (look for Lumpley).

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Re: New to RPG's
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 11:49:20 AM »
Wonderful, welcome!

If you're anything like other people, your experiences might really vary: you might instantly catch on to how things go and have a great time in some places, and struggle and feel confused in other places.

In this modern age, there are some good examples of other people playing the game online (both written reports and videos of people playing). They're not always exciting to read/watch, but you might find looking through one or two very useful (they illustrate much better than a rule book how things are supposed to go). If you wanted to try playing a little bit with someone online (over Skype or Hangouts or similar), I'm sure someone would be happy to do that, too - at least to answer some of your questions or demonstrate some part of the game.

Keep in mind everyone plays a little differently, and many parts of play are a personal, stylistic choice: how much detail you use to narrate things, how strict you are about calling for moves to be rolled, and so on. Feel free to explore and try different things! It's good to find what you don't like as well as what you DO like.