Fallen Empire Warband Rules

• 4 Replies
Fallen Empire Warband Rules
« on: July 01, 2016, 03:33:41 PM »
Just a quick question -- warbands in Fallen Empires seem to sidestep the rules for harm in a confusing way. Normally, PCs are going to be dealing 2 harm with their weapons, 3 harm if within Deadly range, and four if they have a move dedicated to doing a crapton of harm.

The Strongholder's gang starts out at 3-harm, and can be well-equipped to be 4-harm. In Apocalypse World 1e, gangs' harm are determined by their armaments and then they get a size bonus relative to their opponents. Since Fallen Empires is based on 2e, it seems as though there may not be a relative size bonus, just a flat bonus for the size of the gang, with a bonus for good armaments. Is this correct? If a PC is fighting with one member of the Strongholder's gang, how would you approach adjudicating it? It seems like I should fiat the harm that individual member deals down to 2, or even 1 if the strongholder didn't select the well-equipped tag.

Re: Fallen Empire Warband Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 03:47:10 PM »

If it's one person, they aren't a gang, so why not just ask yourself 'what weapon is this one person using?' followed by 'how much harm does that weapon do?' and go from there? At that point the PC is just fighting an NPC who is armed as the fiction suggests they should be.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 04:07:11 PM »
It's one person vs the gang of a Strongholder.

Strongholder's gang, as written and with options chosen, is 60 warriors, harm 4 armor 2.
Vs 1 person, with 1e group rules, they'd get +3 harm +3 armor for being 3 group sizes larger than a single dood.
That makes the warriors, effectively 7 harm, 5 armor, (regardless of weapon?) when fighting a single opponent.

Is this the case? (I'm a player in this game, OP is MC). TO my mind, starting with 4 harm is a bit much, but 6 harm 5 armor sounds right for 60v1.

Cheers

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 05:06:27 PM »
If a PC is fighting with one member of the Strongholder's gang, how would you approach adjudicating it?

This is what I was responding to. The question of whether a PC can reasonably be said to fight a 60-person group of people 'at once' -- i.e. in the context of a single roll -- is an interesting one, but is probably mostly going to depend on the tone of the specific game and the specific logic of the world the MC is presenting.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »
The question of whether a PC can reasonably be said to fight a 60-person group of people 'at once' -- i.e. in the context of a single roll -- is an interesting one, but is probably mostly going to depend on the tone of the specific game and the specific logic of the world the MC is presenting.

And the scope of the move.

Player: I charge the camp, I'm going to fight my way to the prisoner in the center and get them out.
MC: Um, there's about 60 warriors in that camp.
Player: I feel lucky, bring it on.
MC: Okay then, seize by force it is...