Metroplex - Alpha Playbook Preview

• 5 Replies

Hildy

Metroplex - Alpha Playbook Preview
« on: April 21, 2016, 05:12:51 AM »
This effort was (obviously) inspired by Vincent's excellent previews for Apocalypse World 2nd Edition. I thought I knew what my playbooks were going to look like, so I actually wrote several other sections of my hack in advance of the playbooks only to find a whole lot of my plans flew out the window once I started to flesh these out. Now, thanks to that burst of creative energy, I'm going to have to rewrite a bunch of other stuff.

These have not been play tested. Quite a few of the terms used on these point to systems that haven't even actually been written yet. I'm far too close to this project to objectively tell if I'm actually onto anything here, so I'm hoping some knowledgeable eyes will grace my pages and offer me some constructive feedback on what I've done here.
Thank you for your consideration,
Hildy.

Re: Metroplex - Alpha Playbook Preview
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 02:15:40 PM »
This certainly looks nice, and appears well thought-out.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of your moves are phrased in double negatives. (For instance, you can choose the option "your drones are not unable to return to you".)

I'd want to rewrite all of these as positives, instead. Much easier. ("Your drones return to you," or "Your drones are unable to return")

Same goes for the "Act Under Cover" move - would be much easier to have three negative options and choose one.

Hildy

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »
Thanks Paul. That's exactly the kind of feedback I need. I'm hardly a professional writer, but I'd really like to produce something with some polish on it here.

Hildy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 06:18:20 AM »
I'm working on an update for this to incorporate feedback I've gotten back from a few sources.

I realized I was focusing too much on the modular game design concept, and was ultimately creating a pretty generic core game with the promise to spice things up ..eventually. I'm moving away from that concept for now, and I'm adding some additional playbooks to the game. The current plan is: The Ghost (an AI character), The Harrowed (a troubled psychic), and The Meddling Monk (I may have been watching a Kung Fu marathon).

Here is an early preview of The Harrowed.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 11:08:39 AM »
These designs look great!

I will ask a few questions,

-Whats going on with assets, gear, weapons, do you start with any?
-Everyone has a extra thing? I.e. gang, empire, haven, ect?
-I would have your "Pick two" Class moves next to the move choices. Its a little odd to have the number of moves on the other side of the page. I think you were going for instructions on one side, and reference on the other, but I don't see why you can't have them together.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:35:33 PM by Sestuss »

Hildy

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »
Please note that I have removed the document linked in the original post. There has been ..so much.. work on this that I didn't feel that document accurately reflected the hack anymore.