The "Action Button"

• 4 Replies

Spwack

The "Action Button"
« on: December 05, 2015, 12:29:38 AM »
Ok, here's just a dumb idea I've got kicking around for a Pulp Fiction themed game. After watching the movie, I noticed that things just happen. No reason is really given, it's just random coincidence that makes the plot move forward. People happen to be crossing the street at exactly the wrong time, someone OD's, a gun goes off. Things just happen.

So. The Action Button, the Pulp Button, or whatever you want to call it. Works best if it's big and red. Whenever anybody presses it, the MC makes a hard move. Bored? Too much talking, not enough action? Have no idea whats going on? Hit the Button. Same goes for the MC.

Thoughts? Maybe different settings would have a list of moves that link to the Button, rather than just a flat hard move. I've got no idea.

Re: The "Action Button"
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 04:01:54 AM »
I kinda like that idea. But it does reduce the slowness of the game to the patience of the least impatient of the players. Which might aggravate any players who want a bit of talkiness or background. Stories about royals with cheese, or your father's watch might suddenly need a hard move introduced. Then again.. it might explain how the watch ended up in a person's ass.

Though now I can't help but thinking about what sound the button should make. The classical "wrong answer" buzzer/horn gives the wrong impression. A siren is too jarring. But I'm not sure if a simple clicking or soundless button has enough oomph. 

Spwack

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 07:42:52 AM »
I think a fog horn would do just perfectly. Or just a buzzer like in quiz shows. It does very specifically increase the pace of the game, and is not supposed to be used in a plot heavy campaign. I often feel that games can randomly grind to a halt for a few minutes, and it takes a little while to get it back on track. This is basically just a 'BOOM! KEEP GOING! DON'T STOP!' kind of thing. Would work quite well with characters that have a lot of gear and several levels. Alternatively, I can see it going really well in a zombie apocalypse thing.

Munin

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 09:05:49 AM »
It is clear to me: the button needs to say, "What?"

Spwack

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 02:50:24 AM »
What about: "Next"