Sagas of the Icelanders

• 52 Replies
Re: Sagas of the Icelanders
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2010, 07:21:41 PM »
I think I'm in love with this hack.

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »
Hey Gregor, I just had a thought.

My usual gaming group isn't likely to be into the Sagas.  But I'm about to head to Pennsic, which has a rather high concentration of People Who Do Historic Shit, including a number of Vikings personally known to me.  Want me to print out a copy or two and take it along, see if I can get anyone interested in playtesting?

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2010, 11:57:36 AM »
Mr. NeonFox: If you haven't left already, yes!

Also, thanks to everyone for the support. I'll post a new character set relatively soon (the shieldmaiden) and then I'll start talking about what I have in mind for fronts.

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 03:20:06 PM »
[Neon Fox is more of a Ms-type than a Mr-type fox, really :) ]

So, the set-up for fronts remains the same, and harm and hx?

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 03:50:10 AM »
Oh. I'm terribly sorry, I hate it when that happens. It's that damn "everyone is male, white and middle-aged until identified" cultural fallacy. My sincere apologies.

As for fronts, harm and hx:
-fronts, I'm probably going to rewrite because I feel that SotI needs some unique ones. I'll post about that in the near future.
-harm should basically stay the way it is in AW, just note that the "suffer harm" move is different. There's also no medikits or Angels.
-I'm going to abandon Hx. It should be replaced by Bond. But I still need to iron that out a bit.

I got sidetracked by real life and my other games. Expect some stuff soon*.

*(when it's ready)

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 10:38:43 AM »
I've seen this doc getting updated over the weeks but it's been a while since I looked at it. Again I'm struck by the awesomeness of it. Very cool and good in many ways.

A couple of comments, of mixed nature...
 - The appearance options are so very cool. (I'm in love with manly face for women!)
 - Re last names, like -(s)son I think it should be -(s)dóttir. All my icelandic friends (and their friends on facebook) have it that way. Kristinsdóttir, Johannsdóttir. Could be a modern thing, but I wouldn't assume it.
 - You are, in several places, quite careful to point out that what the character has isn't too much, especially when it comes to people around them. A small ship with a few men, two slaves, a warchief defaulting to one or two loyal warriors. Is this an important part of how you want it? To me it feels much more exciting to let the warchief be a warchief, with a medium gang as default, or thereabouts.
 - The viking gets a karve ship, but that's not mentioned in the world description later. Why not just give them a longship, of which the karve is a variant, as I understand it?
 - At the moment Gestur, Beer-giver, Cunning and Homeless give me the hots the most. But then again, that changes every time I look at the text! And nothing gives me the meh.

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 09:01:24 AM »
(Each time I check in at B-FA, I hope there is new stuff in this thread. *sigh* :) )

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 10:10:02 AM »
I'd like to see more too. I almost started a "Vikings" game the other day, then I remembered this hack.

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 07:53:45 PM »
Terribly sorry for the silence.

I'll do my best to pick it back up in the near future. I've been waiting for my copy of AW to arrive in the mail, and my life has been quite busy and my computer uncooperative. Soon.

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 10:39:59 PM »
No pressure, Gregor, we're just enthusiastic!

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2010, 12:46:05 PM »
Yeah. Take care of life. Then, come back and work on this shit.

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 03:54:32 PM »
Fuck life, right.

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2010, 07:05:42 AM »
Sometimes, yeah! ;)

Arvid

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 04:52:11 AM »
I'm excited about the insult move.

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 12:05:58 PM »
Me too!

Anyway, I've been out of the loop for a while, but this is definitely happening!

Expect a pdf soon-ish. In this context "soon-ish" might mean anything from a week to a couple of months, probably no more than that. But it's coming.

After the pdf hits the web, I want to do a PbP game, probably on Snail's pace. I'm taking early applications now. No more than six people please.