Sagas of the Icelanders

• 52 Replies
Sagas of the Icelanders
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:45:01 PM »
Also known, tongue-in-cheek, as Ragnarök World. At first it was pretty much a straight hack, with character playbooks/kits and all, but then I tore it apart, rewrote and now I'm here: my working document

It's still very rough around the edges, stuff missing. I've been trying to come up with far too many new moves to be honest, because this was actually an original game I was working on, which I then adapted to AW, and it's a bit hard to reconcile the two in places. Hasn't been played yet, and I think I did as much as I could without further feedback and playtesting.

I think there's some cool subtle stuff taking shape in there, even if it's still a mess in other parts.

Re: Sagas of the Icelanders
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »
Awrgh, the link seems to be broken and I can't find the "edit" button.

Here, let's try again: https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AXWhY8dTQpdEZGN3NnI4ZjRfMTAwZnI3bW5nZGs&hl=en

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:08:18 PM »
Scandinavian as I am, I'm looking forward to diving in!

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:35:02 PM »
That stuff is smokin'! The way you've captured what men and women do in the sagas is spot on. Very nice example of how you can set a game in a culture that is extremely strict on gender roles without the game in itself being sexist or ignorant.

A question though, are you sure you want women in general to be great at providing by living off nature? You sure you don't want to use fierce for running the household very tight or something like that?

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 05:48:29 PM »
Hey, thanks!

As for the "living off nature" bit - that wasn't my intention, no. I guess I'll have to rephrase it in a different way, (or maybe change the whole move, really, I semi-stole it from Tony Dowler's "one move dungeon" resolution). Good call.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 06:03:31 PM »
Cool. I'll probably have more later on. But I guess you're not interested in feedback on typos and stuff in this?

(Oh, and you've got a message, since that still doesn't seem to be flagged.)

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 06:10:30 PM »
Actually, any kind of criticism and feedback is welcome. I want to polish this until it shines (even if I have to dismantle it again).

I replied to your message. Yeah, it's annoying that the notifications don't work yet.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 12:26:18 AM »
The woman's bear child move seems ripe for 7-9 clauses:

• The child is born sickly.
  • The child is born with pureblack eyes.
  • The child is stolen away in the night.

Other than that, looks good.
All my posts (unless stated otherwise) are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 08:24:06 AM »
That is bloody awesome!
As someone who lives in iceland, and has read all the eddas and sagas, I LOVE the moves :)

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 03:49:42 PM »
I just read it.

WOW. This is so, so good. I'm blown away.

Seriously cannot wait to play.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 04:11:34 PM »
I must lower my self-criticism threshold. I didn't expect you all to get so excited.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 04:51:13 PM »
This is very cool.
"I don't care what Wilson says." -- some slanderous bastard on the internet

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 12:02:53 AM »
Ooo. I really like the look of this so far. I think you've done a good job so far of portraying gender roles appropriate to the sagas without sliding into accidental type-casting. The part where you have

Matron

[...]

does that mean you're still working on that bit? 'Cause I have ideas.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 04:22:22 AM »
All the bits where it says "[...]", yes, those are "more to come" tags. Probably not for another week or so however. Real life is calling.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 04:43:56 AM »
I would love to hear your Matron ideas, Meg.