End/beginning of session

• 8 Replies
End/beginning of session
« on: November 02, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »
Vincent, at the end of session the players examine treasure by rolling 2d6 for each 1 treasure and selecting from the list.

1) A lot of the choices on the list lead to troublesome situations (hiring) or to a bunch of bookkeeping (estates, enterprises, lodgings). When a player choose one of these, are we to note it and explore them in the next session? Like, the next session starts with you rolling on the mercenary or burglar table, or the first part of the next session is a bunch of bookkeeping details on the progress of your estate?

2) At the beginning of the first session, is there any more guidance other than rolling on the random situation table? Like, collaborative world-building, for instance?

3)Are we supposed to start every session by randomly rolling on the situation table, or just the first session (See number 1)?

lumpley

Re: End/beginning of session
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
1. It was a mistake to put examining your treasure at the end of the session. A holdover from Hand to Mouth that's misplaced here. Examining treasure should almost be just another move.

2. No collaborative worldbuilding! Anathema!

Hm. Same as in Apocalypse World, this is a kind of GMing that some people already know how to do, and others, the game will have to teach. This playtesting text is obviously not enough for the final audience, so, yes, there will be more guidance. Meanwhile, ask me questions. What guidance are you wanting?

3. You can use the random situation tables whenever you want to, but you shouldn't use them every session, no.

Thanks!

-Vincent
-Vincent

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »
2) Oh I don't know. I've done my share of worldbuilding without player contribution, so I guess I'll do that.

edit: It just wasn't nearly as good or as rewarding as building off of player contributions ala Apocalypse World. Now I'm going to have to break my recently-learned Apocalypse World habits!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:51:54 PM by ColdLogic »

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 02:27:37 PM »
Oh, okay! So, you can build the world partly off the players' contributions, yes, absolutely. Ask them anything about their characters' lives that you want them to tell you. It's just this: at the end of character creation, under past and present, it gives the players strict rules for what they're allowed and required to create. Whatever collaborative worldbuilding you do, it has to stick to those rules, and it has to be integrated into early play.

Freebooting Venus' rules for what the players can and should create are more strict than Apocalypse World's, but they overlap.

-Vincent

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 05:38:02 AM »
"2. No collaborative worldbuilding! Anathema!"
Vincent, might I ask why collaborative worldbuilding is anathema?

lumpley

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 09:49:47 AM »
It's just not that kind of game. The players' contribution to play is pretty strictly through their characters.

-Vincent

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 12:41:27 AM »
It's just not that kind of game. The players' contribution to play is pretty strictly through their characters.

-Vincent

Would the effects of "the Mountain Witch trick" be part of that contribution, since it is specific to a character?

(Also: Got a link to this playtest from a friend and we're hoping to do a session soon. Looking forward to it!)

lumpley

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 08:38:13 AM »
Nope. I wouldn't use the Mountain Witch trick in this game.

-Vincent

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 11:19:06 AM »
Nope. I wouldn't use the Mountain Witch trick in this game.

-Vincent

Understood. Thanks!