Hacks that provide a more traditional RPG experience? (Not DW.)

• 3 Replies
So I get that this is not the purpose of AW, so it's probably not likely, but I'm curious to see if anyone has done things like:

1. Opposed rolls.
2. Escalating numbers.
3. More detailed stats, skills, etc.

Re: Hacks that provide a more traditional RPG experience? (Not DW.)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:20:47 AM »
The question would be why you'd want those things - what you could achieve with them that you couldn't without!

In terms of more detailed stats, I was thinking of doing a kind of World of Darkness-style stat grid composed of Social-Mental-Physical on one axis and Power-Finesse-Resistance on the other, distribute +1, =0 and -1 between them and then add the results together in the grid (For instance, +1 Social, -1 Resistance means you're bad at keeping your cool; +1 Social, +1 Finesse means you're great at manipulating people, and you're quite [+1 Social, =0 Power] charismatic.) In terms of making each stat more mechanically significant (eg. "What can you lift?") I haven't seen anything like that and I can't really think of a reason to do it except in the broadest strokes - I think you're better off considering obstacles in terms of their narrative weight, and the moves already build a lot of detail into stats in the first place.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »
I've done psuedo-opposed rolls in various martial arts hacks, where the defender chooses and rolls a defensive style move and the attacker chooses and rolls an offensive style move and the outcome is the delta of both results.

For direct opposed rolls, I'm not sure!

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 04:01:38 AM »
I had opposed rolls and variable dice in a super-hero hack I made. The dice (d6) that players rolled against could vary from 1 to 4 dice depending on difficulty, but it only went above 2 dice if the MC spent Destiny points to boost it (1 pt. spent for each +1 dice). Players rolled 1 to 3 dice depending on if they could leverage their wits (1d6), heart (1d6) and body (1d6) for an action -- and chose to do so. The player's result could be boosted by 1 to 4 points by bonuses.

If a player roll's result beat the opposing roll, the player succeeded. If it didn't, the player failed. However, if the player roll's result included a two of a kind, it was the equivalent of a 7-9 roll in normal Apocalypse World rules AND the MC gained a Destiny point.

There were some other rules clarifying when wits (skills or insight into a person), heart (desires and temptations) and body (powers, weapons and tools) could be used, but the core of the opposing roll dynamic is above.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:17:46 AM by Wambly »